*gutiska vs.*gutisko

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 4 11:36:11 UTC 2006

Hails Thiudans.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at o...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "akoddsson" <konrad_oddsson at y...>
> wrote:
> >
> > One issue which puzzles me is the reconstruction of the goths'
> name for their own tongue, *gutiska. On the face of it, this
adjectival form would seem inappropriate when compared with other
germanic tongues, where a fem. on-stem is prefered (nominal). Would
not the form *gutisko (oblique -on) make more sense?

> Hails sijais, Konireþ!
>
> That makes a lot of sense, and certainly agrees with Norse,
although curiously OE has 'on englisc' "in English"; 'on wilisc' "in
Welsh".  These are listed under the heading of the adjective in
Bosworth and Toller, although they seem to behave more like a noun.
Can anyone with more OE expertise clarify the grammar of these
constructions?

> 'on engliscum gereorde' "in the English language"; 'to
norþhymbriscum gereorde'; 'ge on Ledenisc gereorde ge on
Grecisc' "in both the Latin and Greek languages" -- the adjective
strong in these examples even applied to a specific
language.  'gereord', n. "language".  But then there are also what
seem like compounds: 'þæt is on englisc gereorde...' "in the English
language, that is..."

I think the key here is the adjectival use (-*iskaz).

> Supposing the Goths' name for their own language was a feminine on-
stem noun though, can you think of any way of chosing between:
*gutisko (Swedish 'gutiska' "Gothic"), or *gutanisko, or *gutnisko
(Icelandic 'gotneska' "Gothic", Swedish 'gutniska' "Gotlandish")?  I
don't know how much we can read into the Latin form 'gothones',
whether this shows that *guta had an uncontracted plural *gutans, or
if it's just the Latin ending -ones added to the root 'goth'.  But
if the plural was *gutans, maybe *gutanisko is preferable.  Does
continental West Germanic offer any clues here?

The goths could probably say things like *gutiska tuggo or *than is
qath ana gutiska tuggon (accus. - then he answered/spoke in gotish),
like in the norse, for example (hann es maeltr a norroena tungu - he
speaks the norse tongue, or norroent mal, neut accus norse language,
where the usage is adjectival, but would likely also have had an
abstract fem on-stem *gutisko as a kind a title for their tongue,
although it may not have been in heavy use, I think. Now, about
*gutanisko - nothing really speaks against it, but a stem-formation
would seem more original (*gutisko), compare gutthiuda from the
gothic calendar and the norse gotthiod, constantly used in poetry,
but sometimes corrupted to godthiod. Although not a native gotish
speaker, my instinct tells me that the tongue in question could be
called, at least formally, *so gutisko tuggo or just *gutisko.

Regards,
Konrad