nasal abbreviations + þatei / ei before indirect speech

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Jan 9 20:58:27 UTC 2006

> Existe-t-il une différence
suffisante entre les signes d'abréviation pour distinguer un *m*
d'un *n* ?

Apparently not:

"The CODEX ARGENTEUS is written in an alphabet devised by Wulfila,
though it seems quite likely that some changes have been made in the
intervening century and a half. The Gothic alphabet has two styles,
one (I will call it style I) using a sigma-like -sign and a nasal
suspension for n only, and the other (I will call it style II) uses
the Latin and suspension marks for both n and m (Fairbanks and
Magoun). The CA is written in Style II, and it seems quite likely
that this is a later development, probably in Ostrogothic Italy."
[ http://www.florin.ms/aleph2.html ].

Facsimile:

http://www.ub.uu.se/arv/codex/faksimiledition/jpg_files/284mc2f.html
http://www.ub.uu.se/arv/codex/faksimiledition/jpg_files/284mc2u.html

The Wulfila Project [ http://www.wulfila.be/Corpus/Search.html ],
based on Streitberg's edition has, as we'd expect:

qiþandans þatei aiw swa ni gasehvun.
LEGONTAS hOTI hOUTWS OUDEPOTE EIDOMEN

Though other Greek versions reflect the Gothic word order more
precisely [ http://www.greeknewtestament.com/B41C002.htm#V12 ].

LEGONTAS hOTI OUDEPOTE hOUTWS EIDOMEN

On the use of 'ei' and 'þatei' before direct speech, "in
äusserlischer Nachahmung des greichischen Vorbilds" (in superficial
imitation of the Greek original), see Streitberg 'Gotische Syntax'
355, note 2.  He dismisses the idea that the construction can be
shown to be native to Gothic by recourse to the use of 'at' before
direct speech in Old Norse legal texts.

Incidentally, on the choice of tense in indirect speech, see also
Streitberg 356.  He just comments that the Gothic translation mostly
imitates the Greek in this respect too.  There are supposedly a few
instances of apparent differences, but he points out that these are
probably based on some variant Greek text.

"Im allgemeinenen ist die Personalverschiebung in der indirekten
Rede schon der Vorlage eigen. [...]  In einem Fallen jedoch, glaubt
man, habe sie der Übersetzer im Gegensatz zur Vorlage eingeführt:
jus qiþiþ þatei wajamerjau . hUMEIS LEGETE hOTI BLASFHMEIS (J
10,36).  Aber auch Chrysostomos und die altlat. Hss. haben BLASFHMW."

LN