nasal abbreviatio ns + þatei / ei before indirect speech

Budelberger, Richard budelberger.richard at 9ONLINE.FR
Mon Jan 9 22:22:00 UTC 2006

20 nivôse an CCXIV (le 9 janvier 2006 d. c.-d. c. g.), 23h08.

---- Message d'origine ----
De : llama_nom
À : Gothic-L
Envoyé : lundi 9 janvier 2006 21:58
Objet : [gothic-l] nasal abbreviations + þatei / ei before indirect speech

>> Existe-t-il une différence suffisante entre les signes
>> d'abréviation pour distinguer un *m* d'un *n* ?
>
> Apparently not:
>
> "The CODEX ARGENTEUS is written in an alphabet devised by Wulfila,
> though it seems quite likely that some changes have been made in the
> intervening century and a half. The Gothic alphabet has two styles,
> one (I will call it style I) using a sigma-like -sign and a nasal
> suspension for n only, and the other (I will call it style II) uses
> the Latin and suspension marks for both n and m (Fairbanks and
> Magoun). The CA is written in Style II, and it seems quite likely
> that this is a later development, probably in Ostrogothic Italy."
> [ http://www.florin.ms/aleph2.html ].
>
> Facsimile:
>
> http://www.ub.uu.se/arv/codex/faksimiledition/jpg_files/284mc2f.html
> http://www.ub.uu.se/arv/codex/faksimiledition/jpg_files/284mc2u.html
>
> The Wulfila Project [ http://www.wulfila.be/Corpus/Search.html ],
> based on Streitberg's edition has, as we'd expect:

    Exclusive (of me) « we » !…

> qiþandans þatei aiw swa ni *gasehvun*.

    Ind. pret. pl. 3rd : indirect speech

> LEGONTAS hOTI hOUTWS OUDEPOTE *EIDOMEN*

    Ind. aor. 2 pl. 1st : direct speech.

    qiþandans þatei aiw swa ni *gasehvum*.

    Ind. pret. pl. 1st : direct speech. C'est la solution que je retiens.

> Though other Greek versions reflect the Gothic word order more
> precisely [ http://www.greeknewtestament.com/B41C002.htm#V12 ].
>
> LEGONTAS hOTI OUDEPOTE hOUTWS EIDOMEN
>

> On the use of 'ei' and 'þatei' before direct speech, "in
> äusserlischer Nachahmung des greichischen Vorbilds" (in superficial
> imitation of the Greek original), see Streitberg 'Gotische Syntax'
> 355, note 2.  He dismisses the idea that the construction can be
> shown to be native to Gothic by recourse to the use of 'at' before
> direct speech in Old Norse legal texts.
>
> Incidentally, on the choice of tense in indirect speech, see also
> Streitberg 356.  He just comments that the Gothic translation mostly
> imitates the Greek in this respect too.  There are supposedly a few
> instances of apparent differences, but he points out that these are
> probably based on some variant Greek text.
>
> "Im allgemeinenen ist die Personalverschiebung in der indirekten
> Rede schon der Vorlage eigen. [...]  In einem Fallen jedoch, glaubt
> man, habe sie der Übersetzer im Gegensatz zur Vorlage eingeführt:
> jus qiþiþ þatei *wajamerjau*.

    Subj. pres. sg. 1st : indirect speech.

> hUMEIS LEGETE hOTI *BLASFHMEIS*

    Ind. pres. sg. 2nd : direct speech. (ὑμεῖς λέγετε ὅτι *Βλασφημεῖς*)

> (J 10,36).  Aber auch Chrysostomos und die altlat. Hss. haben *BLASFHMW*."

    Ind. pres. sg. 1st : indirect speech. (ὑμεῖς λέγετε ὅτι *βλασφημῶ*)