Gothic Online (a course by Todd B Krause and Jonathan Slocum)

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 30 11:57:34 UTC 2006

Great site you found...kinda usefull.

I was reading and came to the part about differences and similarities
between gothic and other germanic languages.
Where it said that the third person singular present indicative form
of 'to be' has an edning with -t, like german but unlike old english
and nordic. "Gothic ist and Old High German ist as against Old Norse
er, Old English is, Old Saxon is, ist."
But when it comes to the 2nd person of the same verb gothic differ
from them all (I guess). Gothic has just is but OE has eart and ON
has ert and german bist.
Is there any reason that gothic has no t there?
Or could it be like this. Gothic has just switched the two forms of
2nd and 3rd person. If it would have remained 'he is' would be 'is
is' and thou art 'þu ist'. Every one could agree that 'is is' doesn't
sounds very good, right?

/Fredrik