Gothic Online (a course by Todd B Krause and Jonathan Slocum)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Jan 30 20:44:54 UTC 2006

One or two more gripes:

Lesson 1

"Nevertheless, on etymological grounds and because of the archaic
nature of the morphology, it is common in scholarship to ascribe
values to Gothic letters which preserve the distinctions between,
say, ei and e, or between ái, ai, and aí, though they may be prior
to Wulfila's time, and not in accordance with Wulfila's own
pronunciation."

If the distinction between Proto Germanic /i:/ and /e:/ had already
been lost by the time the Gothic alphabet was created, (1) why would
Wulfila have use two spellings, and (2) how would he have managed to
use them correctly most of the time?  Isn't it more likely that the
distinction was blurred after his time?  This would agree more with
the fact that confusion between <ei> and <e> is sporadic and
commoner in certain sections of the bible.

Lesson 2

"Luke 2.49 also begins with an interesting collocation: þa þatei
sokideduþ mik? The phrase hva þatei is a compressed phrase 'what is
this?', the þata then pointing to what follows, hence the relative
marker ei. This phrase has, by the time of the Gothic text, become
frozen as a way of saying 'why'. A similar development happened
within Latin during the Middle Ages, where quid est quod --
literally 'what is (this, the fact) that...' -- came simply to
denote 'why'."

Not a valid example; matches the Greek.

Lesson 3

"In verse 6.6, the phrase habáida táujan '(what) he would do'
provides an example of a compound future tense, still with a sense
of necessity given by haban."

Giving a "sense of necessity" is one use of the auxiliary
verb 'have' in *English*.  Its Gothic cognate 'haban' is used seven
times to express futurity, but I don't think that it's used anywhere
else apart from that to express necessity.  The statement might be
more applicable to another Gothic verb used to express the future,
namely 'skulan', which does sometimes have a sense of necessity or
obligation, though that sense of obligation is not always present
when it's just being used to express the future.

Lesson 4

"In Luke 4.3 we find a nominative form sunáus instead of the proper
nominative sunus 'son'; a similar form diabuláus replaces the proper
nominative diabulus in Luke 4.5. It is likely that, shortly after
the time of Wulfila (if not before), the diphthong áu was
monophthongized and subsequently indistinguishable from u, leading
to occasional scribal confusion."

The fluctuation between <u> and <au> is confined to certain cases of
the singular of u-stem nouns (the nominative is almost always -us),
and is usually seen as a specific morphological change, rather than
a general phonetic one.  There is no regular confusion between <u>
and <au> elsewhere in stressed or unstressed syllables.  Whether or
when /áu/ was monophthongised is another question...

Lesson 6

"The following passage is Mark 4:1-12, the parable of the Sower and
the Seed. Looking at Mark 4.1, we find swaswe ina galeiþandan in
skip gasitan in marein 'so that he entered into a ship, and sat in
the sea'. The construction is actually an infinitival result clause,
at its most basic swaswe... ina... gasitan 'so as... (for) him... to
sit'. The participle galeiþandan is a masculine accusative modifying
ina, '(for) him going'."

Invalid example; synatax matches Greek.

"Mark 9.9 gives an illustration of what, in grammars of the
classical languages Greek and Latin, is typically termed the
sequence of tenses: anabáuþ im ei mannhun ni spillodedeina 'he
charged them that they should tell no man'. The direct command would
have employed a present subjunctive or imperative. However when the
indirect command is introduced by a past tense verb, the present
subjunctive or imperative is rendered by a past subjunctive. A
similar situation obtains in Modern English: the future tense in 'He
will go home' is restructured as a past subjunctive (or really a
past tense of the present 'will') when subordinate to a past tense
main verb, as in 'He said that he would go home.'"

Gothic preterite translates Greek aorist, as usual, so this clause
offers no direct information about the sequence of tenses in Gothic.

Lesson 9

"Another interesting construction is found in Mark 16.8: dizuh-þan-
sat ijos reiro jah usfilmei, literally 'and then a trembling beset
them, and amazement'. "

More literally (and graphically): "trembling and amazement sat them
to pieces" !

LN