female angel

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 14 16:21:05 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Ne, ni ufarmunno ragina Iggwimeris!  Þata naurþronjo auk
waurd 'gyðja'
> jah du ansunjai brukiþ was jah du gudjin qinakundamma.  In gutiskon
> þata wesi: gudjo.
>
> No, don't forget Ingemar's suggestion!  The Old Norse word 'gyðja'
was
> used both for a female divinity and for a female priest.  In Gothic
> that would be: gudjo.
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar@>
wrote:

> > Hi again Ualarauans,
> >
> > I  noticed I misread your 'goddess' for 'priestess'. Forget my
> suggestion!
> >
> > Best
> > Ingemar

Gabaurjaba andnima nih ufarmunno waihtai ragine ainhvatharizuh
igqara, Iggwimer jal'Llama-Nom, in thizei jah thagk fairhaita
bajothum! Jabai nu at "gudjon" samafrathjam ei ni guth-blostrja suma
thatainei bandwjai ak jah silbon tho blotanon ustaiknjai, swa sijai!
Ith thanuh mith "ansunjai" hva taujaima: niu jah so skulda (jam-
mahta) ist thamma samin haidau du **ansunjon inmaidjan?

Thanks for your replies, Ingemar and Llama Nom! If we agree about
*gudjo meaning both "priestess" and "goddess", then, to be
consistent (as human languages are not always, I remember:),
shouldn't we suggest *ansunjo instead of *ansuni after ON asynja?

There's one more issue I need to clarify. Recently we all witnessed
some our posts being delayed before putting on the list, up to
thirty hours or more I guess. It is some technical problem, right? I
mean some could have understood it as a sort of censorship...
Several days ago I got a pm from one of our members who said that he
was not willing to participate anymore because of "being censored".
Well, I can think of a good deal of reasons to get censored myself,
but it's definitely out of question in that person's case. Excuse me
if this remark is not at home here.

Ualarauans

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM