Boz = Bus < *Baus?

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 17 16:40:14 UTC 2006

Hi Tore and Ingemar,

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > This is very interesting. We know from Gotlandic sorces that
the
> > Gotlanders in the 12th century met people at the Black Sea
speaking
> > their language. Is there anything more written about it?
> >
> > Tore

I feel I must add that the suggested interpretation of the fragment
as referring to the Black Sea Goths is though rather attractive and
has a tradition (see, ua. R. Loewe▓s Die Reste der Germanen am
Schwarzen Meer. Halle, 1896 √ p. 35ff.), but is no way the only
possible. Some think it could as well (or still more probable) refer
to the Goths of Gotland. If I▓m not misinformed so far, it was
Gotland which was called gotЭskyjЭ beregЗ ⌠the Gothic seashore■ in
contemporary annals of Holmgaard (to be compared with the ⌠Gothic
maids on the shore of the blue sea■ in the Lay of Igor). Still, if
we may prefer the ⌠South Goths■ hypothesis and moreover assume some
Scandinavian (or even Gothic) proto-text standing behind this
particular place of the Lay, we could take sinemu morju ⌠of the blue
sea■ as a calque from Germanic, bearing in mind that ON blaar was
both ⌠blue■ and ⌠black■ (hrafnblaar ⌠raven-black■). Isn▓t this a
direct reference to the Black Sea then? Since when is the Black Sea
called ⌠black■? As far as I know it was called Svartahaf in the
Viking Age already. Was it so in the Voelkerwanderung time?
If we could think that the Crimean Goths still were of considerable
political and military strength in the time of the Lay (ca. 12th
ct.), then the discussed fragment might have been a piece of what we
now would call ⌠hate propaganda■ preceding a declaration of war, in
the sense: ⌠look how they celebrate our past defeat, their women
enjoying goods stolen from our forefathers... and the women are so
beautiful etc etc■ (alas, they couldn▓t get suspected of developing
mass destruction weapons and possessing superfluous oilfields in
that time).

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at ...>
wrote:

> Bos/Boz is interpreted as lord
> (worldly-royal or noble) and also as God.

Thanks a lot for the informative comment, Ingemar. I wonder what is
the etymology of the (Old) Swedish Bos? No connections with Dutch
baas > NE boss?

Ualarauans