Boz = Bus < *Baus?

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Mon Jul 17 23:52:20 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> > Bos/Boz is interpreted as lord
> > (worldly-royal or noble) and also as God.
> >

> Thanks a lot for the informative comment, Ingemar. I wonder what is
> the etymology of the (Old) Swedish Bos? No connections with Dutch
> baas > NE boss?
>
> Ualarauans

Hi Ualarauans,

I soon begin to hate this fucking Yahooserver. I wrote a long answer
and when I sent it the id page popped up and having completed it the
message was lost into cyberspace.

The word 'bos' does not exist in old or modern Swedish. It soley
exists in the form 'bosgård' and this term is with utmost surety
introduced by the church. That is why the interpretation debate is
that hot. It is generally beleived to be of Slavic origin. Since the
Cistersiensis used it it may come from Denmark to us but to Denmark it
was with the Clynuasensis perhaps (in Holsten). There are also other
possibilities. The Ottonian empire used churchslavic liturgi. The
väringar-varjags- from Västergötland serving with the emperor in
Constantinople were eastchristians. The oldest lawcode in Sweden,
Västgöta Code, states that these people were not allowed to accept
heritage  when they remained in Greece. Sweden was a battlefield
between the misison bishops of Glastonbury and Hamburg-Bremen who both
sought dominance but Hamburg Bremen was the winner and estchristian
priest as well are known in the North. The Grágás and Gulatings Codes
in Norway and on Iceland mention Armenic priests. Hamburg-Bremen sided
with the emperor in the investitur fight but simultaneously the their
leading bishop Adalberth had connections with Byzans and the
east-christians trying to become pontiff of the North. After the final
clasch in the filioque-question in 1054 however  the Catholic church
split into Roman and Ortodox. In the  12th c. however also
Hamburg-Bremen was out and a Swedish archbishop was established. Also
the Irish church of Iona had mission in the North and they had close
connections with the Clunyasensis.

Pick your choice please!

Best
Ingemar