Boz = Bus < *Baus?

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Tue Jul 18 00:45:30 UTC 2006

Hi again Ualaraus,

I checked with 'boss' instead and then  I found it. Boss in dial.Sw
'bås' place where animals are lodged, campsite, OSw 'bos,No
bos,bus,bys, Sw.dial.busa,båsa 'campsite where dogs and pigs are
housed, bad bed, No.'bosa',Sw.dial.'bössja, byssja'(smal hut) from PGm
root 'bus', to swell. Insecure origin.

If this is correct it is quite obvious that it fits places where
thralls are kept like animals. This also definitely differs from the
facts known from Holsten. Since however the church is so closely
connected with the institution Bosgård it rather  leans tovards lord
and god but incidentally it could have been interpreted by the
peasants in the thrall-like way. As I wrote- there is a hot discussion
about it.

Best
Ingemar