Boz = Bus < *Baus?

Le Bateman LeBateman at ATT.NET
Tue Jul 18 03:58:08 UTC 2006

  Does anyone know if the Goths had god names they used as personal names?
The Cotton Ms Domitian A., VII fols 15 ff lists Baldhelm and inguburg and
iurminburg,  siguulf as well. Did the Goths have names like this. The
reference is from  Henry Sweet's A Second Anglo-Saxon Reader p. 108  This
Northumbrian was from the First half of the 9th century. Baelduald is also
used. So Did the Goths have these god names? One name I almost forgot was
Balthere.
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "ualarauans" <ualarauans at yahoo.com>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2006 3:14 AM
Subject: [gothic-l] Boz = Bus < *Baus?

Excuse my contributing again to this rather Slavic than Gothic
topic, but it just came to my mind that the “Slovo o polku Igoreve”
may have been told after a hypothetical ”Yngvárs saga ok fólks
hans”
with inherent reminiscences kept of the Goths being akin to the
actual Varangian dynasty.

In case it happens to be of interest for somebody who isn’t well
familiar with the source (or doesn’t read Cyrillic), I tried to put
the fragment of the Lay in question as follows: (errors in the
transliteration and the Gothic (back-?)translation are to be imputed
to me)

Se bo gotÜskyję krasnyję děvy
vÚspěšę na brězě sinemu morju:
zvonę RusÜskymÜ zlatomÜ,
pojųtÚ vrěmę Busovo,
lelějųtÚ mÜstÜ Šarokanju

Sai auk gutiskos skaunjos (1) maujos
ufsuggwun ana statha blewaizos mareins:
fetjandeins sik(2) rothsiskamma gultha,
liuthond theihsa Bausis(3),
lustond fraweitis Sarwakonis(4)

An English version is here (I still doubt I understood everything
right, so plz don’t be evil to me, OK):

Behold the beautiful Gothic maids
singing at the coast of the blue sea [the Black Sea?]:
ringing with Rus’ish gold [which the victorious Goths stole from the
treasury of the Antes??]
they praise the time of Bus [under whom the Antes were defeated???]
they wish that Sharokan could (be) avenge(d) (?) [a place quite not
clear to me]

Phonetic notes:
_ę_ stands for nasal /e/, _ų_ for nasal /o/ which both were most
probably spoken already as /a/ resp. /u/ in the time of the Lay; _ě_
marks a long vowel which became /’e/ in Russian, /i/ in Ukrainian
and /ia/ in Polish (what was it then?), in Gothic loanwords it
reflects diphthongal -ai-, as in OCSl. xlěbÚ “bread” < Go. hlaib-;
_Ü_ and _Ú_ are conventional signs for Slavic reduced /i/ resp. /u/.

Semantic notes:
(1) Russian Vorlage hat it literally “raudos maujos”
(2) literally “ringing with”, what means they have put on some
jewelry made of that gold?
(3) *Baus (i-stem) is an attempt to create a Gothic etymology of the
name, its literal meaning then being “evil-minded” (NHG böse) –
quite to the point when talking of a leader of some enemy tribe
which later became mythicized  (“The Evil One” (*Baus) ruling over a
people of “giants” (*Anteis) – how you like that?). Then pre-
Wulfilan *Baus [baus] > Late Gothic [bo:s] written down as Boz by
Jordanes, and [baus] > quite regularly Slavic [bus] in the Lay (???).
(4) ŠarokanÜ* seems to be Turkic, from sary “yellow” and ka(gh)
an “sovereign”, “khan”. It could be rendered like [fraweitis] Gilwis
Thiudanis, my *Sarwakons is just slapdash constructed from the words
sarwa- “weapon” and *kons (i-stem) “brave”, “known”, “renowned”.

For a non-Germanic etymology of Boz there might be of some reference:
Ossetic buz “thankful”, buznyg “thanks!”;
an etymology involving Turkish boz “grey” could also be considered
in the context of the question about (proto-)Turkic identity of
(some) Huns (we know the Huns meddled in that case of Uinitharius
vs. Boz – Get. 248-9)

Ualarauans

P.S. I discovered lately Ossetic ændæ “beyond” (Sanskr.
ánta “end”, “border”, hence Antes = “frontier tribes”) pointed out
in G. Vernadsky’s  “Das frühe Slawentum“ (V. Bern., 1956, p. 256),
but I couldn’t find the word in my dictionary (why?)

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM