Gothic names

Michal Cigan michalcigan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 19 16:19:41 UTC 2006

Hi,
Im interested in some aspect of gothic noble names,
maybe someone has any idea...

1) Can we say, that endings of names of gothic nobles and leaders, like -mund, -rich or -mer are thypicaly gothic? - or they are rather common germanic endings of dynastical or "heroic" names...

2) And what about etymology of this endings, what do they mean?

ualarauans <ualarauans at yahoo.com> wrote:                                  Hi, Le!

 --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Le Bateman" <LeBateman at ...> wrote:

 >   Does anyone know if the Goths had god names they used as
 personal names?
 > The Cotton Ms Domitian A., VII fols 15 ff lists Baldhelm and
 inguburg and
 > iurminburg,  siguulf as well. Did the Goths have names like this.
 The
 > reference is from  Henry Sweet's A Second Anglo-Saxon Reader p.
 108  This
 > Northumbrian was from the First half of the 9th century. Baelduald
 is also
 > used. So Did the Goths have these god names? One name I almost
 forgot was
 > Balthere.
 > Le

 I'm not sure I absolutely understood what you mean with "god names".
 If you're referring to complex names containing a theonym attested
 in other Germanic areas, then Baldhelm and Baelduald (OE, right?)
 may rather have the adjective PG *balthaz "brave" (Go. balths, OE
 beald, ON ballr etc) as the first element than a name that would
 correspond to ON Baldr. You know the Visigoths had their royal
 dynasty named that way (Jordanes' Balthi, Get. 42), the name, unlike
 Amali, being quite transparent in that time (ob audacia uirtutis
 Baltha, id est audax..., Get. 146-7). The Gothic form was probably
 *Baltha M. -an, pl. *Balthans. But it's not clear (?) whether the
 Balthi were credited with a divine genealogy as were their
 Ostrogothic colleagues. The spread of the element in personal names
 of the rest of Germania may be explained to some extent as marching
 together with rumors of the glorious deeds of the Visigoths.
 Does some later Germanic epic source mention Balthi in any way
 (maybe smth like *Bealdingas, *Baldunge or the like)?

 Ualarauans

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM