Gothic names

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Sat Jul 22 01:52:37 UTC 2006

On Jul 19, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Michal Cigan wrote:

> Hi,
> Im interested in some aspect of gothic noble names,
> maybe someone has any idea...
>
> 1) Can we say, that endings of names of gothic nobles and leaders,
> like -mund, -rich or -mer are thypicaly gothic? - or they are
> rather common germanic endings of dynastical or "heroic" names...
>
> 2) And what about etymology of this endings, what do they mean?

They are common Germanic.

The most common form is Latinized "-ricus" from Gothic "reiks" or the
other Germanic equivalents. An interesting inversion is Latinized "-
theus" from Gothic "thius" which is found in the 370s-380s. Latinized
"-merus" may come from Gothic "*mers" or other Germanic equivalents.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM