Gothic names

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 22 10:53:20 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michal Cigan <michalcigan at ...>
wrote:

> Hi,
> Im interested in some aspect of gothic noble names,
> maybe someone has any idea...
>
> 1) Can we say, that endings of names of gothic nobles and leaders,
like -mund,
> -rich or -mer are thypicaly gothic? - or they are rather common
germanic endings
> of dynastical or "heroic" names...
>
> 2) And what about etymology of this endings, what do they mean?

Hi Michal!

I don't think these endings are specifically Gothic as they are
attested everywhere else in Germania. Complex two elements names
could be a particular feature of the noble, or they could be not.
You know, the most Old Germanic and particularly Gothic recorded
names were names of high class people, since it were they who were
most often put in songs, legends, chronicles etc. But as I said I'm
not an expert on this. I can remember a discussion about the name of
Ermanaricus and the way it spread in other Germanic areas due to
wandering epic singers (see Tim Caldwell vs. Ingemar Nordgren post
#8770, Wed Mar 29, 2006 – sorry I've got no idea how to make it a
cyber-link), so it is how the names of great heroes (and great
trouble-makers as well, if it was not the same in that time-:) could
penetrate from one people to the other. And I don't know whether it
was possible that a thrall could be named, say,
*Thiudareiks "people's ruler". In the Eddic Rigsthula the offspring
of different social classes (or castes) bear different names, but
did it reflect the actual reality?

What of their meaning, so I suppose PG *–meriz meant "known by smth"
(cf. Go. waila-mereis "well-reputed", waja-merei "bad repute"). This
ending was borrowed by the Slavs (as a name-word) and produced
Slavic –mErÚ in names like Vladimir (Old Russian Volodi-mErÚ, if
this one is not a wholly borrowed Go. *Walda-mers). As the Slavs
didn't understand it they had it folk-etymologized as being cognate
to Slavic –mirÚ (semantically = ON heimr), so e.g. Vladimir became
a "rule-the-world" phrase-name.

*-munduz means "protection' or "protector" (cf. Go. mundon "pay
attention to smth."), like Gesimundus (Go. *Gaizamundus M. -u),
Ermanaricus' grandson (? – Get. 247), who, staying loyal to the
Great Hun (Balamber), was sent by him with a punitive expedition
against Uinitharius after this had accomplished his Antish campaign
(we're back with it again).

*-ri:kiz stood for "prince" or "nobleman", attested in Bible Gothic
as a consonant stem reiks which translated Greek
ARCWN "ruler", "archon", e.g. reiks this aiwis "ruler of this aeon"
= Satan. Adjective being reikeis "mighty", "noble"; the verb
reikinon "to rule"; abstract noun reiki "power". As commonly
believed, it is a Celtic loanword (Gaulish ri:x, gen. ri:gis; Old
Irish ri:, gen. ri:g – very often in Gaulish personal names). It is
a Celtic mutation IE long /e:/ > Celtic long /i:/, so a pure
Germanic development from the same IE root would yield Go. *reks
etc. One could observe a similar process here: both –mers and –reiks
were borrowed (Germanic > Slavic resp. Celtic > Germanic) as name-
words in the direction "from West to East". Maybe it means something?

Ualarauans

http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM