Using DNA to find Goths

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Sun Jul 23 13:28:12 UTC 2006

Hi Sturla,

could you explain this project in a bit more detail please?

I think one big problem that you need to bear in mind is that Goths
are not a biological grouping, but a political grouping. We know, for
example, that the Visigoths who arrived in Gaul and Spain included
many Roman provincials, runaway slaves and disgruntled miners.

If you look back at Gothic individuals about whom we know a little
bit about their family background it is striking that most of them
had mixed ethnic backgrounds. Jordanes was apprently partly of Alanic
origin, Theoderic´s mother seems to have been a Roman woman. For a
migrant group like the Goths this was probably a typical feature.
When the Goths appeared first in the wars agains Philip I Arabs, they
seemed to have been allies of the Carpi, a people that then
disappeared from the records. The Carpi, an Illyrian or Thrakian
people were like absorbed into the Goths and there are probably more
small non-Germanic groups that were absorbed by the Goths.

In fact, historians believe if the Goths hadn't had the ability and
the attraction to absorbe other ethnic and political groups they
would have vanished long before the 5th century.

In this sense, I would be interested to know what exactly Gothic DNA
should be like? Even if you extracted DNA from a skeleton that was
buried with Gothic or East Germanic grave goods, how can you know
what political identity this person once had. It would be fantastic
if what you propose is possible, but so far I have my doubts.

Cheers
Dirk

<http://www.explicofund.org>
> , funded by Norwegian investors) which is a foundation using DNA to
> trace Human migrations, similar to National Geographics The
Genographic
> Project <https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/>  and to
the
> Bradshaw foundations Journey of Mankind
> <http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/> .
>
> We have started in the Migration period and I am particularly
interested
> in finding traces from Goths in the living populations of today, at
> least we'll try to find out if there is any or not. We'll be going
> Sevastapol, travel along the coast to Mariupol and the to Rostov on
Don,
> collecting DNA and searching in particular among the Greek cultural
> organisations (for instance in Mariupol).
>
> I am in need of:
>
>     * Tips on where to collect DNA! (Places/Histories)    * Local
> contacts along our route:  universities, students, possible useful
> assistants, politicians (local authorities), Genealogy
organisations,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM