Using DNA to find Goths

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Sat Jul 22 21:56:47 UTC 2006

I'm not sure ancestry was that important to the migration-era Goths.
Even before then, Wulfila was presumably 'Gothic' even if two of his
grandparents (possibly all of his grandparents) were not 'Gothic.'

I'd even suggest that more Black Sea people came into the Roman
Empire through the slave trade than through the tribal migrations,
and that many people left the migrating groups as they settled down
or joined the migrating groups from the local populations.

(For example, small farmers and large landlords might dispute claims.
If the army drives out the farmers, the farmers might settle
elsewhere, possibly among Bacaudae or autonomous federates; e.g. the
Goths; if the army doesn't drive out the farmers, they might stay
put, and even 'Gothic' groups would have the same reasons to settle
down and try to legally secure their claims.)