Using DNA to find Goths

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Mon Jul 24 15:21:59 UTC 2006

i mean if they werent goths then whats the since in pursuing info on them....all of the gothic groups are peddling around with false subject matter, then.....i hardly think that is the case.....

OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co at sbcglobal.net> wrote:          your written sources are wrong.....your tryin to say they were emulating the romans ways , takin in whoever joined their legions....history pretty much states they were a peaceful group and were only in search of a home to live on......oscar

Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at carlaz.com> wrote: On 23/07/2006 16:22, OSCAR HERRERA wrote:
> i hardly think the goths were goths if they were mixing with other groups....

Hmm, well, the written sources from the time certainly seem to indicate
that the Goths were pretty mixed. I don't think warlords of late
antiquity were particularly worried about their soldiers'
ethno-linguistic backgrounds. "Roman" armies were likely to have as
many people of Germanic-speaking ancestry as "Gothic" armies, from what
we can tell.

To put it another way, if the Goths _weren't_ mixing with other groups,
then we are left with very little idea about who the Goths were (since,
after all, the Goths we read about were pretty mixed).

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson