Using DNA to find Goths

Tim Caldwell vikingtimbo650 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 25 14:35:42 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at ...> wrote:

Hi all,

> I think that would be the best hope, though I understand the
difficulty
> of recovering genetic material from ancient remains.  Still, it's
always
> at least  _possible_ that one could find some markers in ancient
remains
> from those regions that occured in modern populations living in other
> areas where Gothic groups are known to have been active but not in
> modern populations elsewhere in regions where Gothic groups weren't
> present .... but it's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack
when
> one isn't sure what a needle is ....

I agree it's very unlikely that "Gothic DNA" is a meaningful term, and
as has been pointed out there are probably some serious technical
problems involved in extracting the necessary DNA from ancient human
remains to get an idea of what ancient "Gothic DNA" should look like.

But having said all this, it's great that we might be able to put our
assumptions to the test. The proposed project creates the possibility
that we might all get a big surprise and learn something new...

Cheers,
Tim