Using DNA to find Goths

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 25 10:11:09 UTC 2006

Dirk is right, since the Goths have absorbed and assimilated many
people of other origins, such a DNA research could be misleading.
Beside Jordanes and Theoderic, another famous example is bishop
Wulfila: although he was born among  the Visigoths, both his parents
were Cappadocian Greeks, so his DNA would be linked to that of the
Hellenized populations of Asia Minor, not to that of the North-
Europeans...

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin at ...> wrote:

> Hi Sturla,
>
> could you explain this project in a bit more detail please?
>
> I think one big problem that you need to bear in mind is that Goths
> are not a biological grouping, but a political grouping. We know,
for
> example, that the Visigoths who arrived in Gaul and Spain included
> many Roman provincials, runaway slaves and disgruntled miners.
>
> If you look back at Gothic individuals about whom we know a little
> bit about their family background it is striking that most of them
> had mixed ethnic backgrounds. Jordanes was apprently partly of
Alanic
> origin, Theoderic´s mother seems to have been a Roman woman. For a
> migrant group like the Goths this was probably a typical feature.
> When the Goths appeared first in the wars agains Philip I Arabs,
they
> seemed to have been allies of the Carpi, a people that then
> disappeared from the records. The Carpi, an Illyrian or Thrakian
> people were like absorbed into the Goths and there are probably
more
> small non-Germanic groups that were absorbed by the Goths.
>
> In fact, historians believe if the Goths hadn't had the ability and
> the attraction to absorbe other ethnic and political groups they
> would have vanished long before the 5th century.
>
> In this sense, I would be interested to know what exactly Gothic
DNA