Using DNA to find Goths

sturlus sellingvaag at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 25 08:51:17 UTC 2006

I agree, Carl. It seems like searching for a needle in the haystack.
Now we are putting down the needle and taking it from there, working
systematically. Let's sees what we come up with. If nobody does
anything about this within the next 20 years, all opportunities will
probably be lost using DNA for this specific kind of history
research.

Let me know if you want to put the needle somewhere when it comes to
long dead and buried Goths, as these are someone we would like to
start on some time, providing they're remains are well kept.

Sturla

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at ...>
wrote:

> On 24/07/2006 23:49, Ingemar Nordgren wrote:
> > This leaves only one feasible way
> > to make DNA tests that can be at least partly verified by written
> > documents identifying these persons and that is Arthurs
suggestion of
> > royal- and noble genealogies.One thing also that could help is
the
> > intermarriage verdict between Goths and Romans that was at least
> > nominally enforced in e.g. Dacia and Italy. Maybe there could be
found
> > some haplo- or Mitocondric groups in those areas that may point
> > towards a certain area but that seems to be a very wild chance
if they
> > are not supported by any kind of genalogy be it historically
accepted
> > or mythic.
>
> Indeed!  And I think and additional problem is that if it was
deemed
> necessary (for whatever reason) to pass laws against intermarriage
> between Goths and Romans, it's probably because it was happening.
> (People don't tend to make laws against things they see as
problems
> unless those things are happening frequently enough that they feel
> need to make them illegal.)  All you need are a few Goths like
Stilicho
> (Vandal father, Roman mother) and drawing links between genetics
and
> language/culture rapidly gets even more complicated and difficult
than
> it already is.
>
> > I really hope this project will work but I must confess I
> > am rather sceptical. In any way I suggest that these
investigations

http://us.click.yahoo.com/3EuRwD/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM