Using DNA to find Goths

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 27 16:48:51 UTC 2006

Hi Tore.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore at ...> wrote:

> Konrad,
> Just a small historical correction,
>
> You write
 "prior to it becoming a major
> trade center during the Hansa-years."
>
> Gotlands was a major trading centre before the Hansa. It was the
Hansa that killed Gotlandic trade. The Hansa organisation was
founded in 1358 and its apex was the 15th  century.

Thank you for the correction, Tore. I did a search on Gutlandic
archeaology. Indeed, you are quite correct about this. Also, I think
this ties into the issue of gradual language change on Gutland. but
see my reply to Michael about this.

Regards,
Konrad

> Tore
>
> On Jul 26, 2006, at 5:54 PM, akoddsson wrote:
>
> > Regarding the use of DNA-studies to locate genetic Goths, I would
> > suggest the following: 1) that a basis for comparison first be
> > established and 2) that participation in such a study, naturally,
> > should be voluntary. The place to begin would be on Gutland. Now,
> > there has naturally been immigration to Gutland, like other
areas,
> > such that care must be taken that the sampled population is in
all
> > likelihood (i.e. no records or history to the contrary) descended
> > from much earlier Gutlanders. It is thought that Gutland
experienced
> > much more emigration than immigration prior to it becoming a
major
> > trade center during the Hansa-years. I am no expert on this, but
it
> > seems reasonable to assume that the DNA of aboriginal Gutlanders
> > (collected before they, perhaps, disappear) could provide a
measure
> > (including variations of old date) useful in identifying
descendants
> > of Goths on the continent. Of course, personal privacy would
need to
> > be protected and participation voluntary. One question would be,
has
> > this already been done? Secondly, how would the gutlanders of
today
> > feel about this proposal, given that opinions could vary? I think
> > that I lot of care and respect would need to be shown were such a
> > study to be done. I am assuming that a lot of folk, naturally,
would
> > not like to be tested for some such historical reason as
identifying
> > Gothic DNA. I myself would participate, given that it were free
and
> > that my privacy were protected, for simple historical curiosity,
but
> > then I am not Gutlandic and, thus, would not be participating. I
did
> > participate in a Viking DNA project, but that was much broader
than
> > trying to extract only an aboriginal Gutlandic sample. The
typical
> > method would involve focusing on the 23rd chromozone and
isolating
> > direct patrilineal descent or mitrochondrial DNA in females. It's
> > cheap, easy to do and allows folk to arrive at the likely lines
of
> > descent via a sample without the expenses and time involoved in
more
> > complicated and thorough DNA studies. Ask the experts on this for
> > more information than that, which I learned through
participation.