Translation for Gk. *foberos

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 27 17:00:21 UTC 2006

Hails

Good ideas!

I wonder if the past participle would be *ohts and might mean "feared"
and thus have a present sense like "inspiring terror". *Agisleiks
sounds more authentic somehow though, and I don't want to use a
present participle here if possible.  This should have the sense of a
divine reverence/fear, for which ogjan and its derivatives seem to
have been used in the extant texts -- I am completing Nehemia.

Speaking of which, I am also attempting to translate the phrase
"dialusei dielusamen" Lat. "delinquentes deliquimus". Using attested
words I've ony come up with the awkward paraphrase "frawardeinai
frawardeinins gawaurhtum" (English approx. "we have acted very
corruptly"). What are the precedents in Gothic for translating this
kind of redundancy? Also cf. Genesis: "...die a death" (surely die).