Translation for Gk. *foberos

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 28 06:38:48 UTC 2006

Hails!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at ...> wrote:

> Speaking of which, I am also attempting to translate the phrase
> "dialusei dielusamen" Lat. "delinquentes deliquimus". Using
attested
> words I've ony come up with the awkward paraphrase "frawardeinai
> frawardeinins gawaurhtum" (English approx. "we have acted very
> corruptly"). What are the precedents in Gothic for translating this
> kind of redundancy? Also cf. Genesis: "...die a death" (surely
die).

I found
Luc. 2:9 jah ohtedun agisa mikilamma (dat.) vs. Greek KAI EFOBHQHSAN
FOBON MEGAN (acc.);
Mc. 4:41 jah ohtedun sis agis mikil (acc.) vs. the very same Greek
expression as cited above.
Further, there's
Mc. 7:10 dauthau (dat.) afdauthjaidau, vs. QANATW (dat.) TELEUTATW;
Joh. 12:33 bandwjands hvileikamma dauthau (dat.) skulda gadauthnan,
vs. SHMAINWN POIW QANATW (dat.) HMELLEN APOQNHSKEIN
or, using a synonymous verb,
Joh. 18:32 bandwjands hvileikamma dauthau (dat.) skulda gaswiltan.

These may seem to be calqued from the Vorlage, but we meet a similar
way to emphasize the verbal action in ON, e.g. sofa svefn sinn "to
sleep one's sleep", fara kaupferdh "to go in a shopping tour" :),
oepa sigrop "to shout the cry of victory" etc.

To translate Greek DIALYSEI DIELYSAMEN I'd suggest gataurthai
gaterum; for Latin delinquentes deliquimus I'd use frawaurkjandans
frawaurhtedum, or, maybe, frawaurht(ai) frawaurhtedum (a compromise
with Greek syntax and Latin semantics).

Ualarauans