new and in search of help

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 29 10:52:03 UTC 2006

Hails, Arthur!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at ...>
wrote:

>    Could you give me some url or other links to direct me to some
lists or other
> research on Gothic loan words into Romanian? I am also doing the
same for
> Bulgarian, and if anybody out there has seen any research on that
topic, please
> let me know.

I found the *targa in Andrei Stirbu's post #8951 (Date: Thu Jul 20,
2006 8:09 am. Subject: Re: gothic traces in the east?), with a
reference to an article by a Romanian author dealing with the
subject of Gothic loanwords in Romanian.

As for Bulgarian, I guess you'd require an etymological dictionary
of Old Church Slavonic (= Old Bulgarian), where Gothic loanwords are
plenty. It made me think sometimes that (some) proto-Slavs could
have been a minor group very closely associated with the Goths. I
can't produce a list of Slavic borrowings from Gothic right from my
head, here are just few examples of words concerning warfare issues:

mečÜ "sword" < mekeis
brÚnja "armor" < brunjo
šlěmÚ "helmet" < hilms
plÚkÚ "army", "battle", "people" < *fulk
kÚnędzÜ "commander" < *kuniggs

Bearing in mind that there was probably no such thing like today's
fashion to use foreign words just for fun, and words usually
happened to get borrowed when corresponding items they named were
borrowed too, one could assume that a whole military organization of
the Goths was copied by, or at least did strongly influence, the
proto-Slavic ethnos of the Migration time. But, not being an
anthropologist, I can't claim such far-going conclusions are more
than a piece of a pure speculation.

>    Again, good job on the ON > Go.

Thanks for the compliment!

>    Aizamundareiks