new and in search of help

Arthur Jones arthurobin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 28 16:57:17 UTC 2006

Hails ualarauans jah alla mithjaneis,

  It strikes me as a most beneficial and joyous exercise to translate some eddic verses into word-for-word Gothic. It allows us to visualize a framework for syntactic editing that could suggest some possible answers to questions about whether and to what extent Wulfila adopted Greek syntactic usages or merely wrote as the Goths would have said it.

  Even more joyously, I seem to have missed a Rosetta Stone of sorts that is really germain to my present research: A list of Romanian words taken from the Gothic.
  "Targa" in the sense of Gothic= small shield, or rim (like the iron rim of a wooden wheel), would be really helpful just now. Instead, I have been compiling my own list of loan words into Romanian, a labour roughly equivalent to re-inventing that same "targa"!

  Could you give me some url or other links to direct me to some lists or other research on Gothic loan words into Romanian? I am also doing the same for Bulgarian, and if anybody out there has seen any research on that topic, please let me know.

  Again, good job on the ON > Go.

  Aizamundareiks

  Arthur
  arthur.jones at yahoo.com

ualarauans <ualarauans at yahoo.com> wrote:
          Golja igqis, Wilja jah Thiudan!

I found a poetic example of Thor hallowing (or being hallowed) in
the Edda, which could particularly help here maybe. It's Þrymskviða
30:

Þá kvað þat Þrymr,
þursa dróttinn:
"Berið inn hamar
brúði at vígja,
leggið Mjöllni
í meyjar kné,
vígið okkr saman
Várar hendi."

which verse could be put into Gothic word-for-word as follows:

Than qath thata Thrums,
thaurize drauhtins:
"Bairith inn ham(b)r
bruth du <ga>weihan,
lagjith Milduni
in maujos kniwa,
weihith ugkis samana
Weros handau."

Please note that consonant stem bruths "bride" and pronoun ugkis "we
two" have the same form both for accusative and dative, but it's
accusative not dative (as it is in ON above) here, so if we prefer
to think bruths is an i-stem, then it's bruth (acc.) not brudai
(dat.).

With "hammer" we seem to have the same problem as with "thunder". I
still sympathize with the idea that there should be a euphonic
consonant inserted between nasal and r, like *hambrs and *Thundrs.
Maybe it was not compulsory as we meet both timrjan and timbrjan.

Is Go. *Milduneis correct? Or, maybe, *Milthuneis?

And yet, perhaps we shouldn't disregard our absolute ignorance about
pre-Christian thunder-god of the Goths. To think he was all the same
as his later Scandinavian counterpart seems somewhat simplifying...

Ualarauans

P.S. I found your *targa! It's in the list of Gothic loanwords into
Romanian.