new and in search of help

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 28 04:18:02 UTC 2006

Golja igqis, Wilja jah Thiudan!

I found a poetic example of Thor hallowing (or being hallowed) in
the Edda, which could particularly help here maybe. It's Þrymskviða
30:

Þá kvað þat Þrymr,
þursa dróttinn:
"Berið inn hamar
brúði at vígja,
leggið Mjöllni
í meyjar kné,
vígið okkr saman
Várar hendi."

which verse could be put into Gothic word-for-word as follows:

Than qath thata Thrums,
thaurize drauhtins:
"Bairith inn ham(b)r
bruth du <ga>weihan,
lagjith Milduni
in maujos kniwa,
weihith ugkis samana
Weros handau."

Please note that consonant stem bruths "bride" and pronoun ugkis "we
two" have the same form both for accusative and dative, but it's
accusative not dative (as it is in ON above) here, so if we prefer
to think bruths is an i-stem, then it's bruth (acc.) not brudai
(dat.).

With "hammer" we seem to have the same problem as with "thunder". I
still sympathize with the idea that there should be a euphonic
consonant inserted between nasal and r, like *hambrs and *Thundrs.
Maybe it was not compulsory as we meet both timrjan and timbrjan.

Is Go. *Milduneis correct? Or, maybe, *Milthuneis?

And yet, perhaps we shouldn't disregard our absolute ignorance about
pre-Christian thunder-god of the Goths. To think he was all the same
as his later Scandinavian counterpart seems somewhat simplifying...

Ualarauans

P.S. I found your *targa! It's in the list of Gothic loanwords into
Romanian.