new and in search of help

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 27 21:59:55 UTC 2006

Hails Will!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, kyrus88rook at ... wrote:

> In a message dated 7/27/06 1:19:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> thiudans at ... writes:
> Thunr (voc.) is probably right. The 2nd sg. ind. for *(ga)weihan W3 is
> (ga)weihais, imper. (ga)weihai. In the Bible the optative is usually
> used with God, so maybe you would want to do the same with Thunr.
>

> I'm looking at an imper. from Wright (#434,p192): atta, gif mis sei
> undrinnei... 'Father, give me the portion of property...'  would it
be a similar
> situation:
> Garda is a weak masculine word. >>sa(ei) gardin?
> Thunr! Weihai saei gardin.
>
> Thanx yet again, and apologies for the stupid questions :)
> Will

Of course there are no stupid questions! Here, the idea is that one
does not presume to command a god but instead suggests, exhorts or
*subjoins* the deity. Of course you may yourself presume all you wish
;) But again your cases are confused. I don't understand how you wish
to use the nominative relative with the dative noun. I would suggest
an accusative demonstrative article with an accusative noun for the
verb weihai. "Thunr, weihai(s) thana gardan." I would strongly suggest
reviewing Wright ch. 10 Declension of Nouns and especially the
demonstrative pronouns p. 124, then ch. 16 (p. 182) start on Syntax
and review that section with great care, noting the intricacies of the
uses of each case. Comparison with the biblical excerpts will prove
invaluable in familiarizing yourself with Gothic's peculiar construction.

Cheers,
Moderator