new and in search of help

kyrus88rook at AOL.COM kyrus88rook at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 27 18:54:21 UTC 2006

I really appreciate the help (fr Thiduans and Ualarauans)

In a message dated 7/27/06 1:19:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
thiudans at yahoo.com writes:

> The
> optative for the weak 3 conjugation, 2nd. sg. person, is identical to
> the indicative. I am not familiar with a word "targa" but an enclosure
> I would think normally translates as "gards" or "garda" and I don't
> see that the object need be taken in the dative with (ga)weihan.

     Well, from the material I do have on hand, I see that targa has an
asterisk in front of it so im assuming it to be a reconstruction/neologism, but I
have no source listed or cognate from another gmc language by which it was then
used for said reconstruction (via ablaut,etc). Gards seems a better choice
for enclosure in a sacred sense anyway.
      The materials I've been learning from so far: Wright's gothic grammar
(1910 ed), Grimm's Teutonic Mythologies (interesting but at odds with more
updated reconstructions), the online lessons (Salo) and an abbreviated G Grammar
based (althoguh I don't know to what extent) on work by Carver and Salo. I am
in no way a linguist (I'm a railroad conductor) so this is all pretty new turf
for me.

In a message dated 7/27/06 1:19:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,