new and in search of help

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 27 17:17:47 UTC 2006

Hails!

While I cannot check the grammar you refer to I can bring your
attention to a couple things:

Thunr (voc.) is probably right. The 2nd sg. ind. for *(ga)weihan W3 is
(ga)weihais, imper. (ga)weihai. In the Bible the optative is usually
used with God, so maybe you would want to do the same with Thunr. The
optative for the weak 3 conjugation, 2nd. sg. person, is identical to
the indicative. I am not familiar with a word "targa" but an enclosure
I would think normally translates as "gards" or "garda" and I don't
see that the object need be taken in the dative with (ga)weihan.

As for composing, I am a firm believer in the need to think in Gothic
and to be familiar with its grammar and syntax before embarking on
composition. In composing GAV I feel that the stave materializes as a
piece, its parts solidify more or less simultaneously and with respect
to each other. I do not think Gothic requires an omission of words in
order to fit into GAV but it must of course be composed so that it
does fit. If you are translating from another source it may prove
difficult to keep to the same lines.