new and in search of help Go.thunrs and thrums

akoddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 29 14:50:09 UTC 2006

Hails Walhahrabn!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "akoddsson" <konrad_oddsson@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hails Walhahrabn!
>
> Hails jah-hailists, Kunjareth!
>
> Great to hear such an informative comment! Thanks a lot.
>
> > *qath than, as 'than' cannot stand first in Gothic, unlike in ON.
>
> Then, maybe, thanuh qath thata Thrums..., to keep up with ON and
the alliteration? BTW, Þrymr is a masculine i-stem, = Go.
Thrums, right?

I think so, yes.

> > *hamars, I think, masc. a-stem, so: bairith inn hamar
>
> Good, then what's your suggestion for "summer" I wonder? I myself
am constantly wavering between *sumars M.-a and smth like *sum(b)rus
M.-u (cf. wintrus). Or, maybe, it was another word, maybe asans? But
this seems to have been borrowed by the Slavs as jesenÜ "autumn"
(Old Prussian assanis "idem"; typologically cf. NHG Herbst – NE
harvest). And what could be the word for "spring"?

ON vetr is from masc. u-stem *wintrus. ON vintr is also attested in
West Norse from about 1000 (Norðmøri, Norvegr on the Kule Stone). ON
sumar is a neut. a-stem from PN *sumara. The Gothic equivalent,
following masc. wintrus, u-stem, assuming 'summer' would likewise be
parallel, would be *sumar, neut. a-stem. But this word is usually
considered problematic (see etymological dictionaries/works). East
Norse preserved the form vintr much longer than West Norse, which
universalized vetr over the against older parallel vintr.

> > *milluneis, I think, is the Gothic for ON mjollnir. The double l
is original, being from Proto-Norse *mellunijaz (w/Sievers). It means
the 'crusher', despite etymologies to the contrary via Lithuanian,
Latvian and Russian word for or relating to lightening. The
relation to lightning is natural enough, but is not confirmed by the
word's phonological development to it's ON form, hence: *milluneis

> > No need to postulate a ld or lth. Here are two reasons: 1) ld
would have survived in ON as **mjoldnir and 2) lth would have become
ld instead of ll - it defies the rule of lth-to-ll because it comes
before -n-. The word is shortend to mjolnir in some ON sources, and
medieval writers seem not to have known exactly how to spell the
word (ll or l), but the older form with ll is also attested.
Furthermore, this ll is also suggested by comparison to the Baltic
and Slavic, as well as from internal ON evidence (compare mjoll,
fem. o-stem 'snow', which is 'crushed' in it's appearance). Thus, I
come out against the **meldunijaz-form, which has been suggested
based on it being the correct Germanic form based on the etymology
to 'lightening' in Baltic/Slavic. The idea is naturally appealling
and appears very solid; however, the phonology  suggests instead
*mellunijaz, which as it turns out, has an equally plausible
etymology in 'the crusher' - thus, this form now has two strikes in
it's favour, while **meldunijaz only has one. Also, my feeling is
that ignoring phonology in order to produce the desired etymology is
wrong. In this case, I think, the problem is solved, both in terms
of phonology and etymology by the form *mellunijaz, Go. milluneis.

> Frankly, I haven't seen this idea before (except mjöllnir
translated as "Zermalmer" in an old Sprach-Brockhaus), but it seems
pretty convincing... The Gothic word matching ON mjöll would be
*milla then, right?

Yes. ON sniár/snær Go. *snaiws, also ('snow').

> But this gemination, isn't it a problem, given it is the same IE
root as in Go. malan, Lat. molo, OIr. melim, OCSl. mlěti etc
meaning "to grind (corn)"? August Fick's proto-Germanic vocabulary
(Wörterbuch der Indogermanischen Sprachen: 3. Teil:
Wortschatz der Germanischen Spracheinheit) mentions Go. ga-
malwjan "zermalmen", ON mölva as well as ON mylja, OHG muljan
etc as cognate forms from the same stock.

ON molva, mala, mylja - all attested.

> Ibidem is asserted that PG. *mellô "loser Schnee" (> ON
mjöll) comes from (PIE?) *melnâ, so, if it is how the
geminated -ll- appeared in mjöllnir, then *mjöllnir <
PG. *mellunijaz < PIE (or pre-PG) *meln-nijos? Or maybe *mellunijaz
< *melwunijaz (cf. Go. rinnan < *rin-w-)? Whether it be, it's Gothic
*milluneis M.-ja.

Yes, I think so. The baltic thunder-god is called perkunas in
lithuanian, perkons in latvian and *perkuns in prussian. In gothic
we have faírguni, neut., 'mountiain'. In ON fjorgynn is a also a
god. fjorgyn, fem., is a goddess. þórr is called fjorgynjar burr,
the 'son of fjorgyn', who is the earth (also called iorð). In Go.
one of the various names for Þórr's mother would have been erþa.
Now, baltic perkuns is the god of rain, thunder, lightening and, of
course, mountains. This ties into the gothic word faírguni. The idea
seems to be that the thunder-god was connected to mountains, being
the offspring of earth and *wôdans, as the gothic version would have
had it. Perhaps he was born there, where heaven and earth meet, or
just worshipped there. Perkunas's sacred tree is the oak, and he is
worshipped especially at oak trees. In the West Gautish laws, which
are the oldest surviving scandinavian laws, hewing nether oak-trees
is strongly forbidden. There is no explanation given, but the reason
should be obvious enough. It was taboo. Perkunas has an axe/hammer
called milna, I think, but check the lithuanian for the correct
spelling of the word. In russian lightning is called molnija. So,
whatever the etymology might be, it seems certain here that we are
dealing with a very ancient and fundamental IE god, as shown here by
the amazing parallels from the Baltic. See the wikipedia article on
perkunas as a reference. So, it is impossible to imagine that the
goths did not have a major god called *þunrs, who killed the *itunôs
without mercy in defence of his beloved inhabitants of middle-earth
(mankind). Go. midjungards is attested, which implies *ansugards as
the one above the 'middle'. This is where *þunrs lives. Goths would
likewise have attributed pest, famine, crop-failure, and disease to
the *itunôs (everything threatening mankind), like the norse did. A
norse prayer/incantation was (two version are extant):

þórr vígi þik
þursa dróttin
far þú nú
fundinn est

It's ancient and alliterates. Asking *þunrs to kill the giants that
cause disease is an ancient medical practice, actually, which simply
ties into religion as it is usually understood today (compare also
the ancient hindu medical scripture ayurveda, which is a huge mass
of prayers/incantations/spells to the Gods to cure disease, etc.).

> > *in maujos kniwa or ana?
>
> in = í, but ana really seems to fit the case better.
>
> > *weros looks correct, but I'd have to get back to you on this
> one ;)
> >
> > > With "hammer" we seem to have the same problem as
with "thunder". I still sympathize with the idea that there should
be a euphonic consonant inserted between nasal and r, like *hambrs
and *Thundrs. Maybe it was not compulsory as we meet both timrjan
and timbrjan.

> > Right. So the best move is to write conservatively after
etymology, whatever pronunciation developments may have been
happening ;) It does seem that we now have an agreement that the
form *thunrs is the correct one (see discussion of the name *thunraz
on theudiskon about this). Llama Nom correctly observed, I think,
the the final -s would be preserved in the nominative. Thiudans also
correctly suggests, I think, that the vocative would be *thunr. The
reason is that the r- is a part of the stem, not an inflectional
ending. This applies to your translation of the ON tho:rr vi:gi;
however, the imperative of this conjugation in ON, compare: seg thu:
me:r 'tell me', not *segi. Thus, it expresses wish, I think, rather
than command. This would put the whole prase in the 3rd person, 'may
tho:rr hallow...' (see the ON conjugation). Any object would be in
the accusative, but it often occurs in ON without an object as a
kind of stock-phrase (especially in inscription).

> I agree, and I'm ready to sign the convention about *Thunrs :).
So, the whole phrase would now look as:
Thunrs weihai thana gardan (tho targa)!
Lit. "May Thor hallow this enclosure!"

Yes, something like that ;) If *þunrs weihái is correct, then we can
no doubt nail the ancient Norse prayer to þórr (above) in Gothic.

> And the Eddic fragment (for now):
>
> Þá kvað þat Þrymr,
> þursa dróttinn:
> "Berið inn hamar
> brúði at vígja,
> leggið Mjöllni
> í meyjar kné,
> vígið okkr saman
> Várar hendi."
>
> Thanuh qath thata Thrums,
> thaurize drauhtins:
> "Bairith inn hamar (?)
> bruth du <ga>weihan,
> lagjith Milluni
> in maujos kniwa,
> weihith ugkis samana
> Weros handau."

Gothic seems to form the infinitive in more than one way, which
causes problems for me when it comes to the question of what the
correct Gothic equivalent of the Norse would be in any given
passage. He you have 'du (ga)weihan'. So I ask members for insights
and suggestions here. Also, would not to 'lay something on/in
something' be accusative plus accustive? It suggests movement, which
triggers this in ON, anyway. *lagjiþ milluni ana máujôs kniw?

regards,
kunjareths