Pietroasa and other toponyms (etymology +)

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 29 10:50:54 UTC 2006

Hails!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "dciurchea" <dciurchea at ...> wrote:

> Hello ualarauans,
> I hope I can be of some help. The holly mountain of the gets
> (dacians) was Kogaion; it fits the location of Cogeanus river
> (Caucoensi tribe) and today toponimics and names: Kogalniceni,
> Kogalniceanu. Today's name of the peak would be Ceahlau.
> (http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/macedonia_1849.jpg)

Thanks for your tips! I've got my particular interest in all that
concerns possible interactions, especially the linguistic
interaction, between the Goths and the peoples of countries they
were walking through on their migrations. I'm of no value as an
expert in DNA-related subjects, these HLA-DRB1*1502, DQA1*0102,
DQB1*0601 etc etc look pretty Martian for me :), but I read our old
good Procopius and others who used to describe the Goths as typical
North Europeans (tall men with blond hair and fair skin). I doubt
much this phenotype knew no exceptions, but I doubt still more
Procopius & Co told deliberate lies risking their repute as
historians and distorting (what for?) the appearance of the Goths
whom a lot of contemporary Romans had all chances to see with their
own eyes. There certainly could be a formalized pattern of
depicting "the barbarians of the North", since Caesar and Tacitus
maybe, which the 4th-6th ct. historians were following, but to say
that even those of the tribal core had absolutely nothing "genetic"
in common with each other seems to me as big an exaggeration as to
say all the Goths were "pure Nordic race group" or whatever
Geschichtsforscher of the 1930s-40s did call it... But sorry for
having digressed so far.

We probably stand on a safer ground when the language is concerned.
As I said I'm particularly interested in Gothic folk-etymology, as
far as we may reconstruct that. We perhaps agree that the Visigoths
(and their "slow brothers" Gepides) entering Dacia and living there
for about a century or more could not escape contacts with the
native (post-?)Dacian population and its religious beliefs. So, when
hearing the word Kogaion, which (a wild guess) could be related to
Cauco-(c)ensii and < IE *kouko- > PG. *xauxa- > Go. hauh-s, couldn't
they produce smth like *Hauhaio F. -on (formally after attested
armaio), to give it some sense in their speech? And the Alans, their
loyal allies (remember the cavalry of Safrac at Adrianople), keeping
till nowadays (in Ossetic) the word `xox', i.e. [kho:kh],
for "mountain"...

Ualarauans