Pietroasa and other toponyms (etymology +)

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Sat Jul 29 16:46:44 UTC 2006

On 29.07.2006, at 12:50, ualarauans wrote:

> < IE *kouko- > PG. *xauxa- > Go. hauh-s, [...] the Alans, their
> [the Goths]
> loyal allies [...], keeping
> till nowadays (in Ossetic) the word `xox', i.e. [kho:kh],
> for "mountain"...

Hi Ualarauns,

you seem to suggest here, that Ossetic _xox_ be a loan from Germanic,
or Gothic more specifically.
It seems, however, dangerous to pick out this word from Ossetic and
disregard its immediate relatives, the other Iranian languages. There
we find, inter alia, OldPersian _kaufa-_ 'mountain'
Avestan _kaofa_ 'ridge, bump', MiddlePersian _kôf_ NPersian _kôh_.
Cf. also Khotan-Sakian _kuvaa-_ (< *kaufaka-) 'mountain, hill, heap'.
While I'm no expert in Ossetian, I'd rather connect the Ossetian word
with its Iranian neighbours. We find related forms in other IE
languages, too. Also with -p (Lith. _kaupas_ 'heap') and with *-b
(Engl. _heap_, German _Haufe(n)). Interestingly, there are also
tribal names connected with the term, cf. OldPersian _Âkaufačiya_.
MPers. _Kôfêč_. While (possibly) people from heights and 'mountain-
dwellers' are rather similar, the roots aren't identical, I think.

-Daweid