Gothic names

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 30 10:54:23 UTC 2006

Hailai!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, David Kiltz <derdron at ...> wrote:

> On 25.07.2006, at 05:38, ualarauans wrote:
>
> > I used to wonder why does Jordanes write Geberich not *Geberic
(< Go.
> > *Gibareiks, "Balthane Baur sa Batista")?
>
> Good point. I really can't say. It may be a spelling whim. Or
maybe,
> in the case of _-rich_ he was influenced by Langobardian names ?

A Lombard influence may seem probable in this particular case, also
because it spells Geberich not *Geueric (cf. Lomb. morgingab
(morgincap) vs. Burgundian (= Gothic?) morginegiua). But perhaps
this late-Latin -b- could stand both for [b] and [v]? Is there some
evidence that members of different Germanic tribes could influence
each other's names phonetically? For instance, we've got Burgundian
names spelled like Godomarus (Go. *Gudamers), Gundomarus
(*Gunthimers), Leudomarus (*Liudimers) along with Augemirus
(*Augamers), Baldaridus (*Balthareths) etc. Here we periodically
meet -mar- for –mer- and /d/ for /th/ which features are clearly
West-Germanic. It's interesting if it were names only, or the whole
phonetic system of Burgundian, wavering between West- and East-
Germanic?

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michal Cigan <michalcigan at ...>
wrote:

> By the way, its truth, that slavic ending -mir vas probably
derived from gothic
> pattern - also with its introduced etymological solution - but
what about its
> another, paralel form: -mar (Slavomar, Jaromar) - any idea?

It might perhaps be a similar case here. These names you cite - they
are Czech and Slovak, right? That is, they probably are not common
Slavic. It could have been local variants influenced by contemporary
names of the German neighbors ending in –mar. And, AFAIK, there
still exist older variants Slavomir and Jaromir, don't they? So,
it's a question of chronology: -mir < Gothic -mers into common
Slavic (the Migration period); -mar < High German -mar into several
West-Slavic languages (Middle Age?)

Ualarauans