Araaiþei aflaiþ

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Jun 14 19:17:04 UTC 2006

Hails Walhahrabn!

First, sorry to bring this all up again, but I'd just like to say that
I hope you've accepted Vladimir's appology in the spirit it was
offered.  I can appreciate that you were frustrated by the debate and
upset by comments which might have seemed to excuse Wernher von
Braun's work for the Nazis.  But nothing I've read on this message
board suggests to me that Vladimir intended any offence, still less to
condone the attrocities with which von Braun was involved.  I think
your comments of May 24 were unfair.

Please excuse my meddling, if this has already been sorted out...

Anyway, thanks for the compliments!  Yes, by all means criticise my
translation.  You make some interesting points.  With 'weggins
falþanans' I was thinking of Wright's "accusative of closer
definition" (Grammar of the Gothic Language, para. 426), e.g. standaiþ
nu ufgaurdanai hupins izwarans sunjai "stand therefore, your loins
girt with truth"; gabundans handuns jah fotuns faskjam "bound hand and
foot with bandages".  I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the
dative absolute, maybe preceded by 'at', but I get the impression that
it tends to be limited more to a scene-setting clause at the beginning
of the sentence.  Comparison with Old Norse suggests that the dative
absolute may have been used more widely in the bible than would
normally be the case in Gothic; I get the impression that it's also
more common than usual in Old Norse translations from Latin, where it
renders the Latin ablative.  There are indeed a few examples of a
Gothic accusative absolute used like the dative: þuk taujandan armaion
"when you perform acts of charirty"; atgaggandein inn dauhtar
Herodiadins "Herodias's daughter having come in".

I invented a causative 'swaibjan' in a probably forlorn attempt at
matching the ambiguity of Arthur's wordplay.  The English expression
"heart-stopping" has a literal meaning here (which could maybe be:
hairto sweibando, acc.), but also suggests the feelings of the
observer, like watching someone about to dive from a terrible height
might make you catch your breath because you imagine yourself in their
place.  It also seemed in keeping with the way Arthur expressed this
apparently passive event in such a dynamic way.

> ni muna taujan – ni man taujan? Or perhaps optative *ni munjau?

'muna' is here 1st pers. sg. indicative of 'munan', of the 3rd weak
conjugation, expressing an intention for the future: I will do / I
mean to do (rather than the preterite-present 'munan' "to think/believe").

What do you think to *weggs, mi, for "wing"?  The Modern English word
comes from Scandinavian; earlier, the ancestor of "feather" was used
for "wing" too.  As an alternative, I wondered about a cognate of
German Flügel, Go. *þlugils, ma?  Or a weak noun perhaps (-ila, -ilo)?

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM