Araaiþei aflaiþ

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 15 17:01:16 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Hails Walhahrabn!

Hails Llama Nom!

I'm sorry I haven't read Wright (yet), and my first (probably wrong)
impression of the examples you cite is that the accusative here is
but a usual rection of the verbs involved, i.e. standaith nu
ufgaurdanai hupins izwarans... is literally "stand therefore
[having] girt your loins (regular accusative of the direct object of
the verb ufgairdan - ?); gabundans handuns jah fotuns – "[having
his] hands and feet bound (???). Could it be something like that?
This active-passive confusion (ufgaurdanai is literally rather "you
who have been girt" and would then demand some prepositional object
(?) - *bi hupins izwaros "around your loins") is perhaps to be
considered together with the usage of passive in active meaning like
those examples cited in Braune/Helm 1952: 90 ufkunnanda (Joh.
13,15), ustiuhada (2 Cor. 7,10), waurkjada (2 Cor. 4,17) (the
authors explain them as Wulfila's personal misinterpretation of the
Greek text). Maybe it all is rather due to an underdeveloped state
of language apparatus to express complex grammatical relations? Or
we face a somewhat clumsy attempt to keep as close as possible to
the original? It reads perizo:samenoi te:n osphyn hymo:n en
ale:theia kai endysamenoi ton tho:raka te:s dykaiosyne:s and perhaps
there was no better option than to render the Greek passive forms
with Gothic participles inertially preserving the accusative of the
object?
Another thought (to stay within Gothic) is that this accusative
might be explainable as a way to somehow discriminate oblique case-
forms as the direct object in the examples is followed by an
indirect: standaith nu, ufgaurdanai hupins izwarans sunjai jag-
gapaidodai brunjon garaihteins (in the second clause we certainly
miss something like *gapaidodai leika izwara (Acc.) brunjon) Eph.
6,14; but Eph. 6,15 jag-gaskohai fotum in manwithai aiwaggeljons
gawairthjis – why not *fotuns? Cause gaskohai is not a verbal
participle passive? Or because there's no another preposition-less
instrumental object that had to be dative? Greek is hypode:samenoi
tous podas (Acc.!). Joh. 11,44 is still more interesting: gabundans
handuns jah fotuns faskjam, (seemingly fits the above-said) jah
wlits is auralja bibundans (it's nominative!). It makes sense in
Greek (dedemenos tous podas kai tas cheiras keiriais kai he: ophis
autou soudario: periededeto), but the Gothic here suffers from
lacking copulas, right? Maybe the mere problem is that Gothic has no
synthetic preterite passive?

> > ni muna taujan – ni man taujan? Or perhaps optative *ni munjau?

> 'muna' is here 1st pers. sg. indicative of 'munan', of the 3rd weak
> conjugation, expressing an intention for the future: I will do / I
> mean to do (rather than the preterite-present 'munan' "to
think/believe").

Shame to confess but I simply didn't know there's a weak verb munan,
so my previous remark is of course invalid.

> What do you think to *weggs, mi, for "wing"?  The Modern English
word
> comes from Scandinavian; earlier, the ancestor of "feather" was
used
> for "wing" too.  As an alternative, I wondered about a cognate of
> German Flügel, Go. *þlugils, ma?  Or a weak noun perhaps (-ila, -
ilo)?

What is the etymology of the ON vaengr I wonder? Maybe the "wing"
semantics are not original? *Thlugils seems to be more transparent
if we agree about having *thliugan for "to fly" (or *fliugan, but
psst! not to provoke thl-/fl- fight again :) But if a -ils formation
from a verb stands for "means to do it", what would be "airplane"?
Or UFO? Could either of them be smth like *thlaugs M. –a/-i ?
And "flight" – is it *thlauhts F. –i ? I was recently thinking of a
word for "key", could it be *lukils M. –a (ON lykill)? (maybe I saw
it somewhere).

> First, sorry to bring this all up again, but I'd just like to say
that
> I hope you've accepted Vladimir's appology in the spirit it was
> offered.  I can appreciate that you were frustrated by the debate
and
> upset by comments which might have seemed to excuse Wernher von
> Braun's work for the Nazis.  But nothing I've read on this message
> board suggests to me that Vladimir intended any offence, still
less to
> condone the attrocities with which von Braun was involved.  I think
> your comments of May 24 were unfair.

Of course, I am deeply sorry for having afflicted other members with
all that naz-ty arguing. Such misunderstandings (if this was really
the case) should be dealt with, if not at all, in a private manner.

Ualarauans

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM