Araaiþei aflaiþ

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Jun 16 18:29:52 UTC 2006

Hails Walhahrabn!

Ah yes, I think I had that quote from Vafþrúðnismál in the back of my
mind when I suggested that etymology.  And if I'd just looked on
Google, I'd have seen that the Online Etymological Dictionary has the
same idea [ http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=wing ].  But
delving further, Cleasby & Vigfússon have a different and maybe even
more convincing explanation, that it's related to the ON verb 'vega'
"strike, fight, slay; weigh, lift" (cf. Go. -wagjan, from *wigan).
Noreen in his Altisländische und altnorwegische Grammatik [
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/germanic/aa_texts.html ] mentions
'vængr' among the i-stems, as it's usually declined, but also says
that some very early manuscripts have ja-stem endings in the nom. and
acc. plural (which is presumably why the Online Etymological
Dictionary reconstructs it in that way).  But he also says (para. 379,
 note 4) that an a-stem style dat.pl. 'vængum' appears twice in the
Hómilíubók, besides 'vængjum', which (to paraphrase him slighlty) "can
probably be explained by supposing that 'vængr' derives from *væingr,
and thus belonged originally to the a-stem declension."

In which case, if Cleasby & Vigfússon are right, that would give us
Proto-Norse *wa:hingaz = Go. *wehiggs.  Too bad Hellquist's 'Svensk
etymologisk ordbok' is offline at the moment due to technical
difficulties [ http://www.lysator.liu.se/runeberg/svetym/ ].  It will
be interesting to see what that has to say on the matter.  If anyone
had access to that or more up-to-date Scandinavian etymological
dictionaries, feel free to chip in...  Incidentally, in answer to my
ponderings, the Oxford English Dictionary has early Middle English
quotes with both 'e' and 'i' as the root vowel (c. 1200), so maybe the
shortening and raising happened independently in English and East
Norse.  Anyway, we now have the following wing words:

*wehiggs, ma. (or possibly *wai(j)iggs, ma.)
*þlugil-, -a, -o, -s?
*fiþraks, ma.
*fiþrahama, man. (or possibly -hams, ma.)

You're right, 'hanton inti fuozin' is dative.  I think other list
members may know more about this than me, but there is evidence for a
Gothic mission to southern Germany in the form of early loanwords or
loan translations relating to Christianity; the southern dialects
agree with Gothic in their choice of Christian terms sometimes where
the northern dialects follow Old English practice.  There's also the
find of the Giessen Codex in Egypt, a fragment of the Gothic Bible,
perhaps produced or used in the Vandal kingdom in Africa.

I'm still thinking about this choice of dative or accusative "of
closer reference", so I don't want to make any definite pronouncement
yet!  It would be nice to find some more Old Norse examples like
'Egill var bundinn við staf ein, bæði hendr ok foetr', except with
words where it's possible to distinguish between accusative and
nominative.  I haven't been able to find this example discussed in
Faarlund's more recent Old Norse Syntax, so I don't know if he would
agree with Sturtevant's interpretation or Nygaard's.  In Old Norse
there is a sort of adverbial accusative used to express extent of
time, distance, directions, quantity, measure, weight, degree or
extent (which might relate to Egil's predicament, since being bound
"hand and foot" is the extent to which he is bound), also points in
time, circumstance, manner: þeir sigla norðr um Sognsæ, byr góðan ok
bjart veðr "they sail north of Sognsæ with a good wind and in clear
weather."  Faarlund makes an interesting point about such accusatives:
"The accusative used in adjuncts is always the lexical accusative.
This means that it never changes to the nominative in the passive"
(Old Norse Syntax, para. 8.5.1., p. 170).

fór annan veg
nú er annan veg til farit

Which might suggest that 'hendr ok foetr' in the quote above are
accusative, as Sturtevant thought, in which case 'handuns jah fotuns'
needn't be an imitation of Greek.  But with so little data, it's hard
to know whether there was a rule that accusative would always be used
with a participle, and dative with other adjectives.  Or where a
preposition would be preferable.  Or if it was a free choice.

> Is the adjacent instrumental object of any effect for the
> choice of cases

Well, it could make a sentence clearer if the accusative is used in
contrast to the instrumental dative.  Not that human languages always
choose the most logical option...

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Zo.u8A/lOaOAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM