Poety to translate?

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 24 11:49:19 UTC 2006

Hi!

The word seems to be a reduplication of a word meaning flutter, from
IE pol or pal. This is related to latin papilio but with the germanic
suffix -ðr- from IE -tr-.
The german word Falter (from OHG fîfaltra) is of same origin and not
related to falten but with flattern.
Another thing I think could be important to notice is that OHG and OE
has long i. Cf. fîfaltra and fífealde. Also the old nordic languages
seems to have a long i. I dont know why and if this is a later
development. But if it was like this in pgmc gothic should have
*feifaldrô instead.

(facts based on runeberg.org)

/Fredrik

*Fifald(r)o is great! Talking about this, is the first syllable a
reduplication? If so, the spelling should be *faifaldro (with ai [e])
perhaps. But as far as I know (and that's not a long distance) there
are no nouns with a (vivid) reduplication attested in Gothic, are
they? And how is it (if it is) connected with the stem represented in
Gothic falthan (cf. nhd. Falter : falten – maybe a later
association?). The verb at least IS a reduplicative one (Past tense:
faifalth).