Poety to translate?

Guenther Ramm ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 24 21:36:36 UTC 2006

Hails!
  I don’t insist on the scribal error hypothesis, but the graphical likeness of the Gothic letter for [th] and the Greek letter for [f] could speak in its favor. We know that some earlier manuscripts have the S-letter close to the Greek one while the later manuscripts use the Latin S. Could there be a similar situation with the F? I mean some early variants of Gothic alphabet could have a Greek-like F and later when these were being rewritten by Ostrogothic scribes in Italy all the confusions were made. That this hypothetical proto-F would look almost like TH is no objection – compare the letters for U and P. Due to such a confusion of U and P by Jordanes we have Gapt instead of *Gaut in Getica 79.
  Then the question is why this confusion affected only initial fl- ?

  Ualarauans

John Stewart <john.stewart at iued.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:  Hails Thiudans!

I haven't read Koebler, but this *THl- cluster has always seemed awkward to
me. Does he suggest that it could be a scribal error? Where maybe Wulfila
wrote the Gothic and when it was copied, someone misread it as <Þ> (TH-)?
(John S.)