Thl- vs. Fl-, again [was Re: Poety to translate?]

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 24 23:25:06 UTC 2006

Koebler's Gothic Dictionary can be seen here

http://www.koeblergerhard.de/gotwbhin.html

He supports the PIE *pel- etymology. I think it was Voyles who may
have suggested PIE *tel- > Go. thliuhan. I believe he does not place
much weight on PIE in determining PGmc. forms.

- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Guenther Ramm <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> Hails!
>   I don�t insist on the scribal error hypothesis, but the graphical
likeness of the Gothic letter for [th] and the Greek letter for [f]
could speak in its favor. We know that some earlier manuscripts have
the S-letter close to the Greek one while the later manuscripts use
the Latin S. Could there be a similar situation with the F? I mean
some early variants of Gothic alphabet could have a Greek-like F and
later when these were being rewritten by Ostrogothic scribes in Italy
all the confusions were made. That this hypothetical proto-F would
look almost like TH is no objection � compare the letters for U and P.
Due to such a confusion of U and P by Jordanes we have Gapt instead of
*Gaut in Getica 79.
>   Then the question is why this confusion affected only initial fl- ?
>
>   Ualarauans
>

> John Stewart <john.stewart at ...> wrote:  Hails Thiudans!
>
> I haven't read Koebler, but this *THl- cluster has always seemed
awkward to
> me. Does he suggest that it could be a scribal error? Where maybe
Wulfila

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com