Help

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Tue Mar 28 23:15:36 UTC 2006

Hi Michal,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michal Cigan <michalcigan at ...> wrote:

> Hallo Ingemar
>
>  Thanx for Your "invitation", but  I live in Slovakia / attention,
not Slovenia :) / - so it could be  little bit problem to join that
"action" for me - but I'm interested in  that planned summarying book
- please let me know, when it will be  actual /and You wil remember :)/

Rest assured the book will be announced on this list when it is ready.
I fully understand that a symposion in Scandinavian languages is
incomprehensible to you, even if Sweden is not that far away from
Slovakia.If, however, someone appears from abroad there will be
already written English summaries at hand but we must primarily
satisfy the paying local public. Even the Germans lecture in
Scandinavian languages.

>   Your "gothic concept" seems to me interesting - especially from
one reason:
>   maybe this facts could be responsible for (or at least could have
 something to do with) the phenomenon which can be observed - more or
 less - across all the germanic mediaval tradition, especially in epic
 genre: I mean, that many of them - old english, scandinavian, german
-  bear something like "gothic stamp" - concerning some heroes,
events,  stories and so on.
>   Do You have, or anyone else, any additional idea, from what reason
those traditions have such a "gothic stamp"?

The normal explanation is that the Gothic deeds were that great that
they were remembered by all Germanic peoples and so were the Huns that
nominally ruled for a period all the way up to the Baltic shore- if we
beleive the Getica of course. The problem however is that most of this
knowledge is transferred from the Icelandic literature of the 12th c.
and later and hence it is hard to say really what remained of lore on
the continent before that. There are the stories of Didrik of Bern of
course, and the statue of Teoderik that was moved from Ravenna to
Aachen is referred to on the Rök-stone in Sweden in the Viking period.
He was known as Didrik of Bern after his death. Most  continental
written lore however is pure medieval as far as I recall. Hence I dare
not say too much in this respect but you might indeed have a clue with
your suggestion. Most of the knowledge of lore anyway was saved up
North and reexported it seems. If I am wrong, which of course is
possible, I will quite sure be corrected by an expert on lore.

Best greetings
Ingemar