Help

Tim Caldwell vikingtimbo650 at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 29 06:20:46 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at ...>
wrote:

> >   Your "gothic concept" seems to me interesting - especially from
> one reason:
> >   maybe this facts could be responsible for (or at least could
have
>  something to do with) the phenomenon which can be observed - more
or
>  less - across all the germanic mediaval tradition, especially in
epic
>  genre: I mean, that many of them - old english, scandinavian,
german
> -  bear something like "gothic stamp" - concerning some heroes,
> events,  stories and so on.
> >   Do You have, or anyone else, any additional idea, from what
reason
> those traditions have such a "gothic stamp"?
>
> The normal explanation is that the Gothic deeds were that great
that
> they were remembered by all Germanic peoples and so were the Huns
that
> nominally ruled for a period all the way up to the Baltic shore-
if we
> beleive the Getica of course. The problem however is that most of
this
> knowledge is transferred from the Icelandic literature of the 12th
c.
> and later and hence it is hard to say really what remained of lore
on
> the continent before that. There are the stories of Didrik of Bern
of
> course, and the statue of Teoderik that was moved from Ravenna to
> Aachen is referred to on the Rök-stone in Sweden in the Viking
period.
> He was known as Didrik of Bern after his death. Most  continental
> written lore however is pure medieval as far as I recall. Hence I
dare
> not say too much in this respect but you might indeed have a clue
with
> your suggestion. Most of the knowledge of lore anyway was saved up
> North and reexported it seems. If I am wrong, which of course is
> possible, I will quite sure be corrected by an expert on lore.
>
> Best greetings
> Ingemar

Hi Ingemar and Michal,

I think this question about the "Gothic stamp" is very interesting-
hadn't really thought about it before. Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian
sources seem quite familiar with Goths like Ermanaric who to my
knowledge weren't particularly significant outside of Gothic
territory. So maybe there's more to it than just the Goths' great
deeds.

 I'm no "expert on lore", but I thought I'd throw in another theory.
Tales like these tended to flow from people to people in the form of
alliterative songs/poems recited by professional gleemen, who
travelled the Germanic world learning, composing and reciting their
songs. If the Gothic chieftains prized these poets even more than
other Germanic peoples, and rewarded visiting poets particularly
generously, the poets would be particularly attracted to Gothic
lands, and learn a disproportionate amount of Gothic material.

The Anglo-Saxon poem Widsið might support this idea quite well. The
poet who composed it, who says he hailed from the Myrging people of
Angeln, mentions his visit to the Gothic king Eormanric right at the
start of the poem, and later says:

"And I was with Eormanric for quite a while,
where the king of the Goths was graciously kind to me.
He, the ruler of the city-dwellers, gave me a collar
in which there was six hundred coins' worth
of pure gold, counted by shillings."

This generosity towards poets seems particularly significant given
that the poet had already described Eormanric as an oath-breaker;
and Anglo-Saxon tradition remembers Eormanric as a particularly
cruel man who in some ways represented the antithesis of the
Germanic kingly ideal. The poet also says:

"From there I travelled through the Gothic homeland --
I always sought out the best companions --
that was Eormanric's household guard!"

To a traveling poet, the best hosts will be the ones who are most
appreciative of their work, and the most open-handed!

It was primarily these minstrels who were responsible for recording
Germanic tribal "history", and their activities would be a decisive
factor in controling what information and news was disseminated and
remembered, and what was not. Whatever the explanation for
the "Gothic stamp" is, it's quite possible that the travelling
minstrels had an important part to play.

Cheers,
Tim