Help

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Wed Mar 29 23:10:57 UTC 2006

Hi Tim,

Long time no see on this list. I think you have a point indeed since
of course the minstrels were the persons spreading those poems and
everyone making his own adding to the story or own variant to suit the
lord he entertained. The main reason I think that so much had been
preserved on Iceland was the fact that most, not to say all, of the
leading courtminstrels at all the Scandinavian courts came from a very
few and selective Icelandic families who claimed just a background
from  what the Icelanders called Eastscandinavia ,i.e. Sweden and
Denmark, and also had a fertility cult background from Frey and Freya
which was not common on Iceland. The mother was leading in those
families meaning the children took name after her - a matrilinear
tradition from the fertilitycult - and she used to be the local
frejadis- pristess of Freya - and the farm type they possessed was
called Sauerbær-farms implying that they used animal fertilizer-dunge-
from breeding of pigs in farming. The families stuck strong to their
origin and preserved and told stories from the time before landnam for
their children. In such way the deeds of their ancestors were never
totally forgotten and those traditions hence originally came from
Scandinavia.

Best wishes
Ingemar

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Tim Caldwell" <vikingtimbo650 at ...>