Haiku

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 29 13:40:46 UTC 2006

Hails!

I always enjoy some comments. No matter what I think of them.
They usually help me in some ways.
So I will try to explain some of the words etc. you have commented.

iuthos thiwe "descendents of thralls"
 maybe it could be expressed in
one word like *thiwiliggos? Just fond of longer words J (and posts as
you see)

I might use this...depends on of I can make in rhyme.
I havent seen 'liggos' before. Is that an attested word?

bairandans kaupajuke "carriers of the commercial yoke" – if
bairandans is a participle (i.e. "those carrying the commercial
yoke") as it formally is here, then perhaps the object should stand
in accusative (kaupajuka), if it is a noun (nomen agentis with -nd-
stem), then the plural form would be bairands.

I had some problems there. But maybe I should use it in as a noun.
But to get the right number of syllables I ad thai.
Thai bairands kaupajuke...?

I hope I don't mistake here, but if I do, may the senior comrades
correct me. By the way, kaupajuk(a) for "commercial yoke" is very
remarkable. What is "commerce" then?

I don't know if this can be exactly translated to 'commerce' but the
word 'kaup' (sn) is translated to NHG: handel, kauf and to english:
trade, bargain.
Cf. kaupon = transact business.

>   -          Could you please tell something more to *stuthjan "to
tether" (maybe it is the attested stothjan or its relative?)

According to http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c30310/gotwbhin.html the
word stuthjan is translated to nhg anbinden and to english tie.
I don't really know if it's attested or maybe reconstructed.
I havent actually seen the form stothjan.

>   -          swaswe ins munum "as such we consider them" – if you
mean waurteis, then swaswe ijos/thos (Acc. Pl. f.)
, if arbja and
gibos together, then perhaps ija/tho (Acc. Pl. n.).

When I made it I thought of arbja and gibos and took the masculine
form. I don't know if that is the right to choose if there are words
of different genders.
But now when you pointed this out it became obvious that it should
refer to waurteis and therefore be ijos/tho.
Good comment!!!

I'd say swaleika nimam (tho) (cf. the existing stable combination of
words arbi niman "to inherit", hence arbinumja "heir").

>   -          habam fra-liusan ijos "we have to lose them" – is
haban + Infinitive a modal construction? I mean is it a Gothic one?
(I just don't know). If not, then maybe skulum fraliusan?

As I know there are at least three alternatives.
You can use duginnan, haban or skulan.

>   -          in thaim waddjus garaihteins – in thaim waddjum

Evidently a scribal error.

Yes. I accidently made several typos coz I first used letters such as
þ, ô and á etc. but these became other strange ones so I changed all
to just o, a and th. I hope I found the most typos, but thanx for
this. I didn't notice.

>   -          thundos haihaitum "heros we call them" – would you
please explain thundos?

Again all I can refer to is Gerhard Köbler.
http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c30310/gotwbhin.html

>   -          ufar waurstw leikis "except the body labour" – maybe
alja or niba(i) would better translate "except"?

I had that in mind. And good for me any change won't destroy it.

>   -          ni waihteis sind bi unsis "no things are by us. (we
own nothing)". Very interesting
 Can anybody tell what Gothic "to
belong to smb." looks like? Here I'd have sind du unsis (I saw
something similar in Italian: a noi "to us", i.e. "belongs to us").

I don't know if there is any word for 'belong to' but there is a word
for 'to own' which is aihan.
I guess the same sentence could be written: aigum ni waiht.
This construction is not tend to be any standard gothic but only a
poetical form. I read some years ago in what I think what russian if
I remember right, that they didn't have nay word for 'to own' so they
said it in a way just like this:
E.g. instead of saying I own money, they say Money is by me.
Maybe the preposition should be with or at instead...

>   -          gif ins aggilum "give them to the angels. (kill
them)" – wow!!! But in fact, who knows that, maybe skohslam J

Yea...how bout that huh?
Probably it could be skohslam...but this sentence I made when I
looked for words with u-stem. So I found aggilus and came up with
this.

>   -          thize allaize lande – perhaps allaize thize lande?

Is this more corretc, in that case I probably change it.

>   -          gaqimam skulum – gaqiman skulum

You're right. I cannot say this is a typo...just a grammar mistake.

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

>         Dvd region free   All regions dvd player

Service.