Haiku

Guenther Ramm ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 29 19:28:22 UTC 2006

  Hails, Frithureik!

Fredrik <gadrauhts at hotmail.com> wrote:

I might use this...depends on of I can make in rhyme.
I havent seen 'liggos' before. Is that an attested word?
  -iliggos in *thiwiliggos is an expanded form of the Pgmc. patronymic suffix -inga- with the meaning “person descending from smb./smth.” and the like. You can meet it in attested gadiliggs “cousin” from the stem gad- (like in ME to-geth-er). Another (re)construction that I think would be possible here is *thiwairna M. -an., where -erna-n- more or less = -inga-, cf. widuwairna “orphan” from widuwo “widow”. Feminine Gothic *thiwairno F. -on “thrall’s daughter” can be guessed from OHG diorna etc. (s. Koebler) > NHG Dirne “whore”. I think both *thiwiliggs and *thiwairna could have mostly pejorative meaning in actual Gothic (cf. the German semantics).

I had some problems there. But maybe I should use it in as a noun.
But to get the right number of syllables I ad thai.
Thai bairands kaupajuke...?

  It seems to be OK!

According to http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c30310/gotwbhin.html the
word stuthjan is translated to nhg anbinden and to english tie.
I don't really know if it's attested or maybe reconstructed.
I havent actually seen the form stothjan.

  Mea culpa! The attested word is ga-stothan “to make stand”, “to uphold”.

When I made it I thought of arbja and gibos and took the masculine
form. I don't know if that is the right to choose if there are words
of different genders.
But now when you pointed this out it became obvious that it should
refer to waurteis and therefore be ijos/tho.
Good comment!!!

  The only I know is that when speaking of a man and a woman together a neutral form plural was used, e. g. Luc. 2:48 “
sai, sa atta þeins jah ik (sc. Maria) winnandona (N. Pl.!) sokidedum þuk”. I thought it could be spread to other cases of two gender reference (?)

Again all I can refer to is Gerhard Köbler.
http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/~c30310/gotwbhin.html

  Yes, really Koebler has *thunds M. (I missed to consult it). But then in thundos haihaitum it should perhaps be Acc. thundans (if an -a- stem)

>   -          thize allaize lande – perhaps allaize thize lande?

Is this more corretc, in that case I probably change it.

  Here I just thought of Spanish todos los
 and French toutes les
 I don’t know if it has any effect for Gothic. Another peculiar construction to say “all of
”, “every” we find in Wulfilan Gothic is all (N. Sg.) + noun (Gen. Pl.). So it would be all lande “all countries”. To say “of all countries” – maybe “allis lande”. I’m quite not sure here.

  About “America”. If Amerigo < *Haimareiks, then it’s clear why not *Amalareiki. There is a German name Emmerich, is it of the same origin? Or maybe it’s a contracted form of *Ermenrich < Gothic *Airminareiks (remember that old guy? :))? *Airminareiki, literally “a great power”, perhaps would do for “America” (as seen by many from the outside) if we mean the U.S. and don’t take into account the government form. Incidentally, does Gothic reiki inevitably implicate some concrete form of rule? Maybe we’re just influenced by Reich, rik, rijk etc.
  I’d want to discuss it not as much to contribute to neo-Gothic toponymics as to see how (sometimes funny) they would look if translated literally from the point of etymology. E.g., Germany would prove to be *Thiudiskaland “a pagan country”, but if we use something like *Alamanne land (after the Romance languages), we’ll get “a country of all and everybody”, and if *Sahsane land (after Old Norse and Finnish), what will faces of those in Bavaria look like?
  France then – is it *Fragkaland (like Icelandic) or still *Fragkareiki (yet not a kingdom for more than 200 years)?
  Sweden – *Swijareiki or *Swaiareiki (depends on how we imagine Gothic original of Jordanes’ suehans), or maybe we go ON and get *Sweithiuda
?
  Russia – *Roth(i)sland (I guess there was an inscription in younger runes mentioning Rothsland, but what exactly did it refer to?)?
  And what would be names of all those “younger” countries which (names) have no Germanic background? For example, the Ukraine (lit. “borderland”) = *Markaland? Or maybe *Aujaland (as Gothic oium were located somewhere there)?
  Just imagine we’ve got a time machine, go there and back again taking with us a, say, 4th century Goth
 What would he say listening to, e.g. *Haimareiki? – “A cozy place it should be!” :)

  Ualarauans