Etymological inquiry

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 28 21:41:31 UTC 2006

Hails, Garazdans!
May I ask some questions? I guess they have been already answered
long ago, simply I "overslept" it:), so don't attack me for being
out of date please, OK?
1.	Is gistradagis "tomorrow" really "tomorrow" and not an error
of the interpreter (just confused Greek "tomorrow" and "yesterday"
perhaps)? What do those of authority say?
2.	Is the verb slawan "to keep silent" in some way connected
with the name of Slavs? Typologically we have Common Slavic
němücü "German", literally "a dumb person" > "a person not able to
speak (a Slavic idiom) > "a foreigner" >
 Here we could have a
reverse semantic development: "to behave like a Slav" > (in
particular) "not to speak Gothic" > (in general) "not to speak at
all". Köbler says "Etymologie dunkel".
3.	Is the word to be reconstructed for "America" something
like "Amalareiki", i.e. regnum Amalorum (are there living Amals over
there:))? Or, if Amerigo < *Albareiks (don't remember where I heard
this), then "Albareiki"?
Thanks
Ualarauans