Etymological inquiry

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 29 13:58:50 UTC 2006

Hails!

The only one I dare to comment is your third question.

> 3.	Is the word to be reconstructed for "America" something
> like "Amalareiki", i.e. regnum Amalorum (are there living Amals
over
> there:))? Or, if Amerigo < *Albareiks (don't remember where I heard
> this), then "Albareiki"?
> Thanks
> Ualarauans

First of all I don't agree to even have the word reiki in it.
Coz America is not a state or kingdom or what ever reiki can be
translated to.
According to wikipedia the name Amerigo is an italian form of
medieval latin Emericus. This name is of germanic origin and equal to
german Heinrich and english Henry.
Wikipedia says this comes from 'haimirich'. I would guess a gothic
form would be Haimireiks. But I wouldn't use this in any way creating
a name for America.
I'd prefer Amerika and for USA maybe Bandireiki, or smth like that.