medial b

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon May 15 15:05:31 UTC 2006

> > Would you say similar rules could go for d as well?
> > Like d in hunds doesnt become th (like hunths), becoz of it
follows
> > consonant. Initally is is [d] and intervocalic like [D].
> > If b is [p] in albs, (becoz of ending in s?) then d in hunds
should
> > be [t]?
> > And what about g? Is it [g] initially, [G] intervocalic and [k]
in
> > endings before s?

Exactly the same rule for b, d, g.  They become respectively f, þ, g
at the end of a word or before final s, except when they follow
another consonant, in which case they stay b, d, g.  Occasionally b,
d, g also appear finally or before s after a vowel.  These irregular
spellings are found especially in certain parts of the bible.  They
are usually considered to be just spelling variants, although a few
scholars have tried to find a pattern to it.  But there aren't any
examples of the reverse confusion, e.g. *hunþs for hunds, etc.
Which strongly suggests that there was a real difference in
pronunciation between b, d, g after consonants and after vowels.

Here's what I do at the moment: dags [daxs], alhs [alhs], gadiliggs
["gaDiliNks], gard [gard], gards [garts], gadofs/gadobs ["ga%
do:p\s], giba [giBa], lamb [lamb], agliþa ["aM\liTa], ubuhwopida [%
ubuh"wo:pida], etc.  Like I say, there are other ways to interpret
the evidence...  I'm not sure whether to stress the prefix ga- in
nouns and adjectives, but I am doing for the moment.  It was
originally, as shown by OE geatwe, but later the stress shifted to
the root in all the better known Germanic languages.

> Would you pronounce these words smth like this?:
>
> dags [daxs]
> dag [dax]
> daga [daGa] or [daM\a]
> giba [gIBa]
> bairgs [bErks]

Yes, pretty much, including the uncertainly over 'daga'!  One thing
in favour of a less forceful pronunciation, [M\] or at least tending
that way, is the fact that "breaking" of /i/ to [E] didn't happen
before /g/.  Another clue is are spellings in the Vienna-Salzburg
codex such as 'haal' *hagl, 'laaz' *lagus, 'daaz' *dags.  I try to
say [giBa], but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of [gIBa].
If 'i' and 'ei' represent long and short variants of the same vowel,
it's strange that this should be the only vowel for which length is
marked in the writing system; why not 'ou' for [u:].  Still, it's
quite possible that such quirks could exists.  One idea I've changed
since we last discussed this, is to pronounce /h/ as [h] in all
positions, rather than as [x] finally and before consonants.  That's
because (1) it's never confused with final /g/.  (2) the
forms 'magt' and 'maht' are never mixed up.  (3) /h/ is often
assimilated to a following consonant, sometimes elided, suggesting a
less forceful pronunciation.

> I have been thinking of a word for elk or moose.
> If the pgmc word was *algiz then gothic would be algs [alks] right?

I think so.  I don't know of any evidence about tones in Gothic.
I'd be interested to hear of any books or papers or ideas about the
origin of the tonal system in the Scandinavian languages, and
whether other early Germanic languages might have has something
similar, or if it was an innovation in North Germanic.  Is there a
German dialect that has phonemic tones too?  Do they have any
resemblence to the Scandinavian system, or did they evolve
independently?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM