medial b

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 15 12:07:33 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at ...> wrote:

Just had some new thoughts.
Maybe intervocalic g ain't [G] but [M\] instead?

Would you pronounce these words smth like this?:

dags [daxs]
dag [dax]
daga [daGa] or [daM\a]
giba [gIBa]
bairgs [bErks]

Maybe it could work if I use a little spannish pronunciation to get
it more right?

I have been thinking of a word for elk or moose.
If the pgmc word was *algiz then gothic would be algs [alks] right?

> [...]
>
> Coz I dont know any names for tones I try to describe it and hope
you
> know enough swedish to understand me :)
>
> In swedish there are these two word "stället" and "stället" which
are
> pronounced almost the same. The only difference is the tones.
> Both words are singular definite forms and the first is definite
form
> of "ställ" ( = rack) and the second of "ställe" ( = place).
>
> If you know the difference of the tones in these definite forms
which
> one is used in gothic.
> I think I pronounce gothic very much as how it would be in swedish,
> with the tones I mean.
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@> wrote:

> > > devoicing rule (Auslautsverhärtung) doesn't apply
> > when 'b', 'g', 'd'
> > > follow another consonant, so my guess for the nominative
singular
> > > would be *Albs.
> > >
> > > Yes, of cause. Thanks. Hence a question - how you pronounce
this:
> > > [alvs], [albs] or maybe even [alps]? Intervocalic –b- I like
most
> > > have as [v], but what I like or dislike that's no argument. We
> > have
> > > Naubaimbair for November and a lot of Latin renderings like
> Liuva,
> > > Erelieva etc., but what about –b- in the position you
described,
> > > i.e. after a consonant? And what is Silbanus for SILOUANOS –
> > leaning
> > > on Gothic silba? But this happened to be written by Romans as
> > > Silva... Does the rule work only when –b- stands between two
> > > consonants? And what is then the pronunciation? I guess it
could
> > be
> > > again a question of chronology.
> >
> > The final devoicing is prevented whenever 'b', 'd', 'g' come
after
> > another consonant.  Although I don't know any examples of the
> > combination 'lbs', I think it can be assumed to have existed on
the
> > basis of words like 'skulds', 'gaþaurbs', 'gazds'.
> >
> > According to Marchand, the Greek letter beta was a voiced
bilabial
> > fricative in the 4th c.  But a voiced bilabial plosive after
[m]?
> > The Gothic 'b' is modelled on this letter and used to transcribe
> > beta in names.  Go. naubaimbair for Lat. november is consistent
> with
> > the possibility that Go. 'b' was a fricative between vowels.  To
be
> > more cautious, we can probably assume at least that Go. 'b' was
the
> > closest thing to Lat. 'v' at the time the word was borrowed,
> > although we can't tell whether they were an exact match.  If
Gothic
> > had no inervocalic [v], a bilabial fricative [B] may have been
> > substituted.  If Gothic had neither intervocalic [v] nor [B], the
> > closest match may have been a plosive, perhaps [b] or even [p]
> > (depending on how Go. /b/ and /p/ were distinguished).
> >
> > Latin transcriptions of Gothic names aren't very useful for this
> > question, since medial 'b' and 'v' had fell together as a
fricative
> > in Vulgar Latin.  I don't know if this was generally bilabial (as
> > still in the Iberian peninsula) or had become labio-dental (as in
> > other modern Romance languages).  Presumably Gk. SILOUANOS
reflects
> > the ealier Latin pronunciation of 'v' as [w].  Either way, I
think
> > unfortunately we have to discount the evidence of spellings like
> > Liuva (*Liuba), Erelieva (*Haíru-liuba?), Recciverga (?-
*baírga).
> > Similarly, the contraction of Go. *Sigis- to Lat. and Romance sis-

> > can be explained in terms of Latin/Romance sound changes, cf.
Lat.
> > Arge- for Go. *Harja-.  Still, it might be reasonable to exclude
> > voiceless stop for Go. intervocalic 'g', cf. the transcription of
> > Langobardic Sikenolf.
> >
> > Initial 'b' seems not to be confused, but consistently spelt 'b',
> as
> > far as I know, in Latin transcriptions of Gothic names.  This
> > suggests that initially 'b' was a stop, something like [b] in
> > Gothic.  This would agree with the treatment of Gothic
initial 'g'

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM