Sino-nymic (was Re: Haiku & Toponymics)

Manie Lombard manielombard at CHELLO.AT
Sat May 20 10:12:26 UTC 2006

Being of mixed Boer/German descent I abhor the idea of calling Zimbabwe
after that jingoist Rhodes!!! Shock! Lieber den ausdruck Zimbabwe
("steinerne Burgen/Häuser") ins Gotische übersetzen.

Liebe Grüße

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guenther Ramm" <ualarauans at yahoo.com>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2006 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: [gothic-l] Sino-nymic (was Re: Haiku & Toponymics)

Fredrik <gadrauhts at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Nothing will be around for ever. Countries will fall and new will

> rise during time. The countries at the time when gothic was spoken
  > arent the same as now. And in the future it wont be the same as now.

  - Well, that seems more to philosophy than to linguistix (the former being
still less familiar field for me than the latter)... Just put in "languages"
instead of "countries" and say isn't that the view that would kill the very
idea of reconstructing a dead language. "Why are you so much in for a
language not spoken one and a half thousand of years?" shall we all be
asked, "none of you being able to provide a Gothic pedigree, so that a
comparison with modern language revivals (like that of Ireland or Israel) is
definitely out of place in your case. Learn languages people speak now and
don't feel so helpless before the face of the all-devouring Time". This
could be really a discussion, and I'm almost sure this topic has been
touched here more than once. What about names of countries - that's a
question of methodology. Peru and Zimbabwe could become *Igkaland and
*Rodisland (or whatever Germanic etymology of Rhodes' name can be)
respectively, but it's not what I'd like to
 point out now. Of course there will be much more countries with no hope to
get a "true Gothic" name, but I think it can be a kind of fun to look into
the country's history and try what we could invent about it. When looking
for a word not attested in the 4th century Bible, what's your way to create
a neologism? I guess most often you look how it is called in today's
Germanic languages and then you simply "play back" this form into Gothic,
like *sahriballus (not **baskaitbaulls!). Or, if you feel discontent with
it's present pattern, you just invent a new one bearing in mind that it
should be at least roughly understandable, let it be ridiculous, for the
imagined "native speaker", like wokrahansa "banking company" (not *bagkondei
gamainduths and still less **bagkiggakumpanja). I'd fully agree with this
process. But then, what's so different about toponymics? Place-names are
just another part of every language's vocabulary, like nouns, adjectives
etc. You can't reconstruct
 verbs and let adverbs behave as they do now in, say, Swedish. Every
language is a kind of autarkic system, I mean it has to be organic, not
having its feet in the Wulfilan epoch and its head in the 21st century. If
we gonna bring the 4th century Gothic over into nowadays, we better bring it
as a whole, not just some parts of it we like more. Those huge holes in the
attested vocabulary should be filled in so as to match the rest of the body
rather than today's stand of things which it can be later accommodated to.
This is how I see it.
  - Well, abstract reasoning isn't that I'm any good in, so I better try to
get further with examples. The geographical horizon of the historical Goths
would embrace that of Romans plus the countries they had wandered through or
heard of from their fellow comrades like Gepids, Lombards etc. This could be
a basis to create names for today's countries of the same territories. I
mean, converting the historical Germanic names into their Gothic form (as
e.g. *Aggliland for England) and perhaps using names of Roman provinces for
countries yonder the once-been Limes (as *Thrakiland for Lat. Thracia). Note
I use -land as a default ending, it could be gawi, reiki or whatever fits
the particular case. Sure there will be names which it's impossible to carry
through such a procedure, but it's just here where we need our wits and feel
of taste (and I'm certainly not the person to be proud for a "gout
irreprochable"). There will be countries "with several possibilities", as
for instance
 Italy, which can be another *Walhaland (cf. Polish name for Italy Wlochy
which is plural of Wloch < Gothic *Walh), *Walhiskaland (NHG Welschland),
*Italja(land) (cf. OE Eatule in Widsith which shows how Lat. Italia could be
adopted and Germanized, for the seemingly superfluous -land cf. Iudaialand
Mk. 1:5) or even *Rumaland. The reverse situation is quite possible, e.g.
*Walhaland would fit Apennine Italy, Romanian Walachia and even Belgian
Wallonia. This can produce some confusion, but at the same time it's a great
source of poetic synonyms! Besides, we can still see a lot of confusion even
in modern languages around the names of countries, and to use their Roman
names could be a way to avoid misunderstanding and conflicts. For example,
there's a country in the Balkan which calls itself Makedonija, and, luckily,
we have Makidonja attested. But when its singer was performing in the
semi-final of Eurovision (*Aiwrosiuns?) she was introduced as a
representative of "Former
 Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia". Cause the Greeks would claim that
"Macedonia" is a part of their historical heritage and not a Slavic-speaking
country, I guess. Also, if taking modern names be the only official policy
to create toponymics, a question arises which of the modern names to choose
as a start point. For instance, is it English "Hungary", German "Ungarn" or
Hungarian "Magyarorszag"? Why *Fragkareiki and not *Fragkja or even
*Frantsja (< France). Every resident of a particular modern country would
prefer his own language as the best source of names to be gothicized,
wouldn't he? A pluralism here is by no means bad, but there should perhaps
be a pluralism of approach as well. I don't know what your ultimate dream of
a revived Gothic is, mine is that the (neo-)Gothic language would become
able to execute all the functions any other modern European language does
and be in current use among enthusiasts over the world (like Esperanto in
fact is), but to hope it
 would one day replace another language in a particular territory as a means
of everyday communication or even as a birth language (btw, did anyone try
to teach babies Gothic?) - this hope I think is quite unreal. Gothic will
always be a "second (third, fourth etc) language" whatever success we'll
have achieved in our work. The basic moving reason to learn it will stay
either scholarship or just hobby and not a practical need to communicate
with people around you. So maybe it shouldn't be so "totally logic" and
correspond so precisely to "our knowledge of the world" as it is today.
  Excuse my chaotic way to express thoughts, but I hope you'll get an idea
of what I tried to say.
  u.A.w.g.
  Ualarauans

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM