More Toponymics

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 23 08:28:11 UTC 2006

>   - Well, sometimes it does. For instance, Latin is dead, but
its "children" live on.

Well...yes, but it depends on how to define it.
You can say that latin neverbecame extinct but as all languages it
changed during time and became "modern latin" but in several forms.
If we should say that latin is dead, we mean latin spoken 2000 years
ago but than we must say that english spoken 500 years ago and 400
years and 50 years ago are dead as well.
As I tried to say before, old english never died but changed into
modern, eventhough in one way it could be called dead coz it aint
spoken.

PG is dead, but we have a handful of modern Germanic languages. If
you mean the absence of direct descendants, then Gothic really seems
to have died "childless" (unless we regard Gotlandic as its
successor, in some way).

The same about this as about latin.

When does a language become dead and when does it have a "child"???
Gothic as we use it might have had a child known as crimean gothic.
And according to my definition of dead languages crimean gothic is
dead, and with that also gothic.

>   - *Igkaland seems to me to be closer to the pattern of Gothic
toponyms (and Old Germanic at large): ethnonym + toponymic ending (-
land by default). The people are then *Igkans (though I don't know to
what extend the today's Peruvians may be called Incas?) and the
adjective *igkisks. The once-being Incan Empire could be then
*Igkareiki.

Igkareiki is good in that meaning. And igkans and igkisks are also
good, but I would perhaps use these words for the people of Igkareiki
and not Peru.

> *Pairu is no bad, but we have to get it somehow conform with the
Gothic morphology. Is it a neutral u-stem? Maybe, nevertheless,
*Pairuland? (just a madman for this -land, you see :)

It could be a problem to fit in toponymics in gothic grammar. But
Pairu could be, as you say, neuter u-stem. Or perhaps end it in -
land, which would make it more easy to use.

I don't know exactly what an adjective would be, maybe
pairuisks/pairulandisks, and not what we could call a person of Peru.

The language of the incas would maybe be igkarazda and the modern
language based on a word for quechua.

>   - Särkland I guess has something to do with Saracens?

It might be so or/and from old swedish saerker = shirt.
The people there were wearing cloths which the vikings might have
called saerker.

>   - But, if it never became extinct, it would never be so today
like we're trying to reconstruct it (i.e. following the grammar of
the 4th century). My idea was that if we write a Gothic language with
all its inflexions, cases etc, the country names shouldn't look so
quite alien, and besides, they need to find their place in the
grammar, that is to get a gender, declension and the rest. >

I cannot do anything but agree.

Before you wrote about Macedonia and said that there's an attested
name Makidonja. I guess that F.Y.R.O.M isn't used in colloquial
speech but mostly only Macedonia. And a gothic name could be a
translation of F.Y.R.O.M but we can use just Makidonja colloquial.

About France, you said "Why *Fragkareiki and not *Fragkja or even
*Frantsja (< France)."
If we use the romance name Francia as base gothic would have Fragkja.
Latin uncia is ugkja in gothic.
But coz gothic is a germanic language I think it would be better to
use a name which is more similar to the other germanic lanuages.
German: Frankreich, Dutch: Frankrijk, Swedish: Frankrike.
So Fragkareiki would be the best choice I think.

Some ideas of F.Y.R.O.M:

Former: faurthis
Yugoslav: sunthrawinithisks/jugauslabisks/sunthraslabisks
Republic: thiudawaihts
Macedonia: Makidonja

/Fredrik

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM