More Toponymics

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue May 23 13:31:48 UTC 2006

> >   - *Igkaland seems to me to be closer to the pattern of Gothic
> toponyms (and Old Germanic at large): ethnonym + toponymic ending
(-
> land by default). The people are then *Igkans (though I don't know
> what extend the today's Peruvians may be called Incas?) and the
> adjective *igkisks. The once-being Incan Empire could be then
> *Igkareiki.
>
> Igkareiki is good in that meaning. And igkans and igkisks are also
> good, but I would perhaps use these words for the people of
Igkareiki
> and not Peru.

I'm not an expert on this, but I think there are other indigenous
ethnicities living in the territory of modern Peru besides speakers
of Quechua, for example the Aymara.  Calling the modern nation of
Peru after the Inca empire would also leave us with the question of
what to call the historical Inca empire, known by the indigenous
name of Tiwantinsuyu.  So maybe it would be clearer to invent Go.
*Igkareiki "the Inca Empire"; Go. Paíru, nu "Peru" or Go. Paírû,
na "Peru".  In favour of the latter possibility, a neuter a-stem,
compare the name Iesus < Gk. IHSOUS.  Braune suggested that this may
have had a long [u:], causing it to be declined as an a-stem by
default, rather than a u-stem.

Re. "Aiwropais Ahvos Thiudozuh" > "Aiwropos Ahvos jah Thiudos"
(Rivers and peoples of Europe (nom.sg. Aiwropa?)): when functioning
as an enclitic conjunction "and", -uh only conjoins sentences, not
nouns or adjectives within a sentence.

Llama Nom

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM